Sunday, May 3, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Stylised reviewing!

We all review books differently. Some go in for indepth analysis, quoting from the books and writing snippets about author's past work. There are others who write pages and pages , which sometimes includes spoilers. They literally go overboard with it.

There are still others who are brusque, to the point.

Speaking about myself, I try to be objective. My reviews are simplistic. I don't go in for grandiose words ( i keep that for my poetry!) I don't have spoilers in my reviews. I also say why I did not like a particular book. I don't really believe in trashing any author, although there are many who won't agree with me. I believe that one man's trash might be other's intellect!

Reviewing varies from person to person as reading varies. Perceptions vary, cultures vary. I think each has its merits and demerits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did the last two reviews in question- answer form, taking only 4-5 questions. Do check those out by clicking on the titles:


The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton
The Pleasure Trap by Elizabeth Thornton


I am reproducing here, Dewey's review questionaire for all. I have used it in its entirity or part of it in many of my reviews. I find this very useful when I don't have much time to think. This questionaire has all the relevant questions which ought to be asked of any review.


Title and author of book:

Fiction or non-fiction? Genre?

What led you to pick up this book?

Plot summary:

What did you like most about the book?

What did you like least?

What did you think of the writing style?

Which of your readers are most likely to enjoy this book? Why?

Have you read any other books by this author? What did you think of those books?

What did you think of the main character?
What is the central character’s biggest problem?

How do you think he/she feels?

What strengths does she have that help her cope?

Do you know anyone who has been in the same situation?

What would you have done?

If you were his best friend, what advice would you give?

How would that help the situation?

8. What effect do the people in the book have on one another?

Any other particularly interesting characters?

Write a (physical, emotional, relational) description of three of the characters in the book.

Take two or three of the characters and write about their relationship to each other. How do they interact; who are they to each other?

If this book has been made into a movie, and if you’ve seen the movie, compare the book to the movie.:

Share a quote from the book:

Share a favorite scene from the book:

What did you think of the ending?

Do you recommend this book? If you use a rating system, what’s your rating?

5 comments:

wendy elizabeth said...

Hi gautami, I'm new to blogging so I've only just done my first review and found it harder than I though it would be. this 'weekly geeks' post is very helpful - thanks - will use it for my next review.

Maree said...

I'm glad you're back up and going again! :)
Happy Weekly Geeks

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Hi, glad to see you back! We missed you :) Thanks for posting the review guidelines.

Care said...

Wonderful - and I agree, Dewey's questions are so helpful. Glad you are back.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

Those questions do look helpful thanks for posting them I didn't look at them before. I will definitely use those questions the next time I write up a review.