Thursday, May 21, 2009

to make second a first

btt button

What book would you love to be able to read again for the first time?

I have re-read a lot of books. Classics mostly. However, that was much before. Now I barely re-read.

Having said that, in the recent times if I do pick up book to read again for the first time, it would be The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway. Somehow I feel the second time around it would still feel like a new read, I would be reading it with a fresh intuition and more open mind. It would make the book more alive for me, the futility of war and still surving in such a situation.

Another is Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. It too is based in war but also depicts hope and love.

There are some more, I must mention here:

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The HERetic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

# I feel that the essence of the question is for that recaptrured feeling of wonder. The surprise of the first read won't be there but sometimes re-reading only enhances the wonder, that element of newness. Maybe a book with magical realism might capture the first time essence albeit in a different way. I added this so as to answer to the comments made by Heather, Margaret and Gentle Reader.

28 comments:

Literature Crazy said...

Cold Mountain was really great, but re-reading is hardly sufficient for me--I'll never recapture that wonder that I had the first time around.

Margaret said...

I agree with Heather -it's so difficult to capture that fist time pleasure.

gautami tripathy said...

Heather and Margaret, for second reads, it is always difficult to capture that wonder for any book, not only Cold Mountain.

Many a times, re-reading enhances that pleasure with a new wonder. I think that is what is the essence of the question today.

Nise' said...

Have not read Cellist yet! Loved Cold Mountain and The Book Thief.

Desert Rose said...

Haven't read any of yours but seen Cold Mountain and liked it.. might try the book :)

Shari said...

Luckily I read the book thief as an adult, so I knew to slow down and enjoy those wonderful first impressions. It is definitely on my to read again list

Kerri said...

I just recently read the Cellist for the first time.

Karen Harrington said...

I thought about putting Cold Mountain on my list this morning, too. I loved the sensory descriptions of that book so much. And lucky for me, I just picked up The Book Thief! Can't wait to read it.

Dot said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I really want to read The Cellist of Sarajevo, I have heard wonderful things about this book. I could definitely re-read The Book Thief, I thought it was an amazing book. Happy BTT!

Melody said...

I haven't read any of those, but I look forward to reading Sarah's Key and The Book Thief!

Gentle Reader said...

Good ones! I would say Cold Mountain is on my list, too. And I agree with the others, that there is no way to recapture that wonder of the first time, but it's nice to dream!

Ted said...

I have still yet to read Cold Mountain, I'll have to see about adding that to the pile!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Hey how's it going? Haven't seen you in a while.

Here is A Second First Time

zetor said...

Yes, it's good to reread but the first element of surprise is gone, however I find find that I pickup on something I missed first time round.

Monique said...

I've have not yet read any of those books. But Half Of A Yellow Sun is on my pile.

JoAnn said...

Good choices! Cold Mountain is the only one that I've read.

Beth F said...

Cold Mountain is a great choice. I hadn't thought of that.

Anonymous said...

Books that have surprise ending or a twist would be refreshing to me. I also read my favorite books, like Name of the Rose and The Master and Margarita.

Interesting how many of the bloggers' selections are classics.

I'm just in right the middle of Half of a Yellow Sun and I understand why. :)

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

I haven't read any of them but I have The Book Thief on my TBR list :)

Here is my BTT post.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

My husband read and liked Cold Mountain.

Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker said...

Cold Mountain is a favorite of mine. Great choice.

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm reading The Cellist right now- it's fantastic!

The Bookworm said...

I need to read Cold Mountain. And I have Sarah's Key in my TBR.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

The Social Frog said...

I have The Book Thief, but I have not read it yet, I guess it will be a summer read :)

Novroz said...

thx for visiting my blog :)

Same with you...I have less and less time to re-read...but maybe it is a good thing, re-reading after quite a long time will make it feels like the 1st time again

Meghan said...

The Cellist of Sarajevo is on my wishlist! The fact that you've listed a book I haven't read is exciting, it means I have something good in store!

The Book Resort said...

Got to check out The Cellist.

bermudaonion said...

Wow, what a great recommendation. I've got Cellist. I want to read it right now after what you've said.