Saturday, May 9, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Mark it Down

Do you use bookmarks or just grab whatever is handy to mark your page? Do you collect lots of different bookmarks or do you have a favorite one that you use exclusively? If you're not someone who uses bookmarks on a regular basis, have you ever used anything odd to mark your place?


Ill-treating, a book, any book is kind of sacrilege for me. It does not matter whose book is it. I do not dog-ear books. I do use book marks. Mostly which are available in the bookstores. In my younger years, I even made a few bookmarks which still are huge hit with my family and friends.

My brother got me a leather bookmark long time back. I use it often. I also have a sandalwood carved bookmark. It leaves a pleasant smell if I use it. My mom gave me a silver one too. I seldom use it. I am scared of losing that. I won't say I collect bookmarks, though.

As I carry books, there is always a bookmark within that book. In the rare ocassion, I use paper napkins, loose change, hair clips, my mobile phone or anything I can lay me hands on. But dog-earing? No way!

8 comments:

Maree said...

I use all sorts of things as bookmarks too.
Happy Weekly Geeks :)

claire said...

I don't dog ear too. And will use anything, but only things that are flat, never a cellphone. Lol. :D

christina said...

Oh I love homemade book marks. You should take a picture and post them :P

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of 2 bookmarks I own but forgot about... because I don't use them! Like yours, they're too precious (and fragile). They are quite old and - I believe - have belonged to my grandparents. I think they're from Asia (Indonesia), where my father was born, but I'm not sure.

The wooden one will probably break the first time I use it :\ And the one of painted paper is already been eaten by erm.. something. I keep these in my box of memories :)

I will try to remember to post a picture on my flickr account.

Btw I have a carved sandalwood paper-knife that I cherish :)

Rikki said...

I'm a user of dog-ears myself. But I can appreciate nice bookmarks, they just don't work for me.

Kim said...

Sandlewood....ymmm....that is a scent that has really grown on me over the years. How lovely to leave a little scent behind in your book!
*smiles*
Kim

Chrisbookarama said...

No dog earring for me either. The sandlewood one sounds very nice.

pussreboots said...

I think I used my cell phone once in a pinch.