Thursday, May 7, 2009

Booking through Gaphic Novels

Booking Through Thursday

- Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don’t you enjoy them?
- How would you describe the difference between “graphic novel” and “comic”? Is there a difference at all?
- Say you have a friend who’s never encountered graphic novels. Recommend some titles you consider landmark/”canonical”.

I have read a lot of Archie comics in my teenage years. They are comics, not graphic novels. Tintin and Axterix are graphic novels in the modern context. I have read the entire series of both and still own some of those. Recently I read Persepolis and thats about it. I will eventually turn to graphic novels but for now, I am not too keen although Maus is in my TBR list. I am also thinking of trying out Manga books.

I think everyone ought to read the Asterix as well the Tintin series. An experience in itself.

5 comments:

jlshall said...

I've seen several mentions of Persepolis lately, and it looks intriguing. Haven't read any graphic novels yet, but I'm willing to give them a try.

Jess said...

I don't read a ton of graphic novels, but I love Epileptic by David B. -- just fantastic!

Bookfool said...

Guatami,

I just heard about your blog being moved, today (via Twitter). So sorry, but I truly believe your followers will just traipse right along behind you and you'll get a high page ranking in no time. I don't comment often because I have far too many blogs in my reader -- I've got to work on thinning! -- but I'll follow wherever you go. :)

Kat said...

I love Tintin! My uncle used to collect that when we were young (he's only a few years older than I) and I loved reading about his adventures. I definitely think that Herge's works are among the best modern graphic novels I've ever come across. I've got my recommendations here. Cheers!

zetor said...

I'll remember your recommendaton for Tin tin and Asterix, seen them on t.v. and they were good.