Saturday, May 16, 2009

Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy

Running on fear alone, Sarah Lucas follows her dog Sylvie down a long meadow and onto a disintegrating ski trail in the woods.


Title: Every Last Cuckoo
Author: Kate Maloy
ISBN: 978156126756
Publisher: Algonquin Books/2009
Pages: 277

This novel starts when we think that life has almost ended. When one thinks there is no more to be done, no more to be seen, suddenly one finds new arenas.

Sarah Lucas is secured in her husband's love. She is seventy five and is happy with her life with Charles. She loves their peaceful existence in rural vermont living in the midst of friends and occasional visits from family. When Charles dies unexpectedly, she is assailed by loneliness and thinks her life has ended. And then she finds herself with un-expected boarders, a motley crowd, who need a place to live one way or the other. All end up caring for each other forming a family of sorts. Sarah feels fulfilled and happy. She still misses Charles but her love for him sustains her, does not break her apart. Sarah also finds a new hobby in the form of photography and nature walks.

Every Last Cuckoo is a very good book, with a beautiful relationship between Sarah and Charles, and their various friends. The little girl Hannah, is specially very endearing. She is the child of Tess, David's girlfriend.

This novel teaches us that no matter what, life is very beautiful. There is so much within us to give and and make a difference in the lives of others and in doing so, we enrich ourselves too. Maloy's writing is good too, the flora and fauna is so vivid and also the interactions between the various people. The essence goodness within all of us is shown very beautifully. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. It is not a sad novel in anyway. In Charles passing away too, Sarah can recall his love and passsion for her. That in no way diminishes. The title is so befitting. When a few leave, few more arrive...

8 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for the great review. I really want to read this one now.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

bermudaonion said...

I'm so glad to see this book is good - I'll be reading it for my book club in July.

Jodie said...

That cover is just lovely, so colourful and chaotic.

Margaret said...

Sounds like a comfort read.

Beth F said...

I'm so happy to see that this is a good one because my book club is reading it this summer (and it was my pick!). Thanks.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I really liked EVERY LAST CUCKOO also. I agree with your point that it's not sad. The book confronts grief straight on, without avoiding it or wallowing in it.

The title is apt, and I was pleased to see where Kate Maloy brought it into the book.

Anonymous said...

I've see nthis book around, but didn't know what it was about until your excellent review. I think I might add this to my list. We all need to be reminded of the beauty of life!

S. Krishna said...

We're reading this one for my book club, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review!