Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What Are Your Favorite Genres?

Found this on the blog, Lost in Books. If you do the meme, don't forget to post the link URL on her linky thing!

Rebecca asks," What are your favorite genres to read?

Very easy for me to answer. Firstly, I like Crime Fction, which covers hell lot of sub-genres. Suspense, Thrillers, Mysteries, Police Procedurals, Whodunnits, Whydunnits, medical thrillers, Legal thrillers, Detective fiction, spy stories, cozy mysteries, psychological thrillers.

As you can see, crime fiction takes us into a whole gamut of emotions, thrills and you name it, you get it. My mind gets totally involved when I read crime fiction.

Then, I like World Fiction. That takes me into a journey all over the world. I learn about places, cultures, religions and so much more. I can read travelogues too.

I used to read a lot of historical stuff. I still do but not as much as I did. Lately, fantasy literature hasn't held my interest. Unless a book is too good, I can't get into fantasy stuff.

Now what are yours? Is there a genre that you avoid like plague?

10 comments:

Serena said...

I also like crime fiction and all its incarnations!

bermudaonion said...

It would take less time for me to tell you what I don't like. I do like crime fiction and world fiction.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I'm a fan of world fiction as well. I love learning about other cultures as I read.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, dear. =P I'm afraid that neither of these are genres I particularly gravitate towards. But it's good to know that there is something for every reader in the world, aye? =)

Brittanie said...

My favorite is Christian romantic suspense. My least favorite is probably fantasy. I read very little of it. :)

Mystica said...

I went to the link and also posted about it. I also generally would read almost anything!

Rebecca Chapman said...

I am with you on World Fiction, I especially like reading books that have been translated into english from a different language.

Becca said...

World Fiction rocks. I love armchair traveling! I can get pretty into crime fiction too, although I like the mystery side of it more than the psychological thriller.

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I love learning about other cultures through world lit as well. Thanks for sharing!

Bibliophile said...

I also like to read books from different countries, although the genre didn't make it onto my favourites list.

Since you are a fan of world literature, I'd like to recommend a reading challenge that I have been having fun participating and that might suit you: http://2010globalchallenge.blogspot.com/

It's a challenge to read books from every continent, and it has different levels depending on how many books you plan to read.