Saturday, July 31, 2010

Weekly Geeks: To Kill A Mockingbird


Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird? When did you first read it? Did it affect the way you think about race and class in the U.S.? Do you agree that it's an influential and/or important book?

If you read the book but don't live in the U.S., how did the novel influence your opinions about race in the U.S.?


Racism and injustice. Both go hand in hand. In most parts of the world. Even now. So To Kill A Mockingbird is indeed a timeless book. I read it in the late 1980s, more than 20 years back.

I am an Indian, living in Delhi. At that time I wasn't much aware about racism in US. It did make me look up on it. However, ours being a casteist society, this book did make an impact on me.It brought home the fact that we are always eager to put the blame on those who are different from us, they have never been in the mainstream and have no one to stand for them. There aren't many Atticus Finch's in our world. Even now. Maybe that is one reason, he remains one of the most memorable male fictional characters.

This novel might be set in a particular place and a particular time. Yet it reaches out to us. Because we know there is discrimination. Everywhere. In some form or the other.


8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Very well said - this is indeed a timeless book.

Marce said...

I read this book for the 1st time this month and wished I had read it in highschool. I am 34 and born and raised in Bermuda. I do wish there were more men like Atticus in our world.

I am an Employee Relations Manager and still get shocked at the racism, judgements, economic differences etc that are used against each other.

My post

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/wrap-up-post-for-to-kill-mockingbird.html

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

It's awesome to know that this book transcends time and place and resonates with readers globally!

Kerrie said...

I read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD with students in 1968 or thereabouts when it was included in the English syllabus. I don't remember that we focussed on the racial aspects, but more on, like you, how people who were "different" were treated. I have a poll over on my blog

Vasilly said...

Great post! I read this book a few years ago and loved it. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of those books that everyone should read.

Bernadette said...

You are so right that we need more people like Atticus in the world.

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

I loved this book so much. I think we all need to aim to be like Atticus. This book should be read by all.

Anonymous said...

You're right we need more Atticuses!