Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Memorist by M J Rose/Wondrous Words Wednesday

Title: The Memorist
Author: M J Rose
ISBN: 978-0778325840
Publisher: Mira Books/2008
Pages: 464

The Memorist is a novel which amalgates mystery, time and music so beautifully and intricately that nothing feels out of place. Set in Vienna, both the present and the nineteenth century, we get to know the world of Beethovan and the music he created. It is not only the music but also memories that transcend time.

Meer is a woman in her early thirties, She is tormented by her memories from her past life since she was a child. She keeps hearing certain piece of music. Her father tries to help but somehow fails. She herself does not believe that she is hearing something from her past life. However, on her father's behest she arrives in Vienna to look into a music box which she has only seen in her memories and drawn pictures of it.

But people who are involved with the box are attacked and killed. It seems that there are many people who are interested in the box and its mystical powers. The box has something which conjures up memories of past lives.

The there is this Journalist David Yalom, who has lost his family to terrorism is tormented by his memories. He has a diabolic plan to make the world notice his losses. Yet he somehow feels some kind of afinity for Meer, whom he had never met. How both are connected is very intriguing part. Each of the characters around Meer has some sort of past connection with her. That also includes a FBI agent.

Going back on forth from past and present, The Memorist is journey beteween centuries, countries and cultures. What appealed to me most is how it travelled to India and Hinduism. The flute is so symbolic. With a touch of mystery, suspense, mysticism, spirituality, it is very good read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Kathy of BermudaOnion

I take the following words from The Memorist:

1) Potentate (page 34): Seated in club chair as if he were a potentate and it was his throne, with thousands of leather bound books behind him.....


n.

  1. One who has the power and position to rule over others; a monarch.
  2. One who dominates or leads a group or an endeavor: industrial potentates.
2) Reliquary (Page 35): In a church , an object this precious would be in a gold-tooled reliquary but the memorists's relic had no power and promised no magic...

n., pl., -ies.
A receptacle, such as a coffer or shrine, for keeping or displaying sacred relics.

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds fascinating!

Donna said...

Will be putting this on my TBR list now! Great review!

serendipity_viv said...

M.J Rose is definitely an author I want to get into. I have Rose's first book in my collection waiting to be read.

jlshall said...

This is one I really want to read. I read The Hypnotist by Rose earlier this year and loved it. It's a great series.

A-Z Wednesday: "X" marks the spot.

Serena said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Memorist. I really loved the setting and the characters of that novel.

Lisa notes... said...

My kids were in a musical called “Potentate” a few years back. It was the first time I had heard the word; I had to look it up. Glad to see it again today.

Margot said...

I like your new words, especially potentate. It's such a visual word. Can't you just see a powerful person?

Marce said...

I have a book from this series but I wonder if I have to read in order to appreciate it.

Unknown said...

The Memorist sounds like a riveting and beautiful book. You've written an terrific review that has landed this book high on my tbr list. Thank you!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds very intriguing...thanks for stopping by my blog.

Booklover said...

Superb work and a lovely blog! always excited to land on a fellow booklover's blog :)

Yvonne said...

This book is on my wish list. Sounds like a good one.

stacybuckeye said...

I've been reading good things about this one.