Monday, July 5, 2010

Mondays: Mailbox/Musings/Whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia.

I received the following two books, thanks to the authors.

1) Inside Out by Barry Eisler

Marooned in a Manila jail after a bar fight fatality, black ops soldier Ben Treven gets a visit from his former commander, Colonel Scott Horton, who explains the price of Ben's release: find and eliminate Daniel Larison, a rogue operator from Ben's unit who has stolen ninety-two torture tapes from the CIA and is using them to blackmail the US government. But other players are after the tapes, too, and to find Larison, Ben will have to survive CIA hit teams, Blackwater mercenaries, and the long reach of the White House. He'll also have to find a way to handle Paula Lanier, a smart, sexy FBI agent who has her own reasons for wanting the tapes and is determined to get them before Ben does. With the stakes this high, everyone has an angle—everyone but Ben, who will have to find the right alliance if he wants to stay alive.

2) The Sea Captain's Wife by Beth Powning

Azuba Galloway, daughter of a shipwright, sees ships leaving for foreign ports from her bustling town on the Bay of Fundy and dreams of seeing the world. When she marries Nathaniel Bradstock, a veteran sea captain, she believes she will sail at his side. But when she becomes pregnant she is forced to stay behind. Her father has built the couple a gabled house overlooking the bay, but the gift cannot shelter her from the loneliness of living without her husband. When Azuba becomes embroiled in scandal, Nathaniel is forced to take her and their daughter, Carrie, aboard his ship. They set sail for London with bitter hearts. Their voyage is ill-fated, beset with ferocious storms and unforeseen obstacles that test Azuba's compassion, courage, and love. Alone in a male world, surrounded by the splendour and the terror of the open seas, she must face her fears and fight to keep her family together.
~~~~~~~

In the past weeks:

I finished:

The Sea Captain's Wife by Beth Powning

I am in the midst of reading:

Lamentation by Ken Scholes

I posted reviews of:

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell
Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell

~~~~

What are you currently reading? Would you recommend it to others? Is it part of a series (if so, which one)? What are you thinking about it? What book(s) would you compare it to, if any?

I am currently reading Lamentation by Ken Scholes, as I have mentioned above. As I said there, it is a fantasy/war novel, a stand alone book. I have one-third of it and liking it. It can be compared with any good fantasy novel and yet makes its own mark.

Those who like the fantasy/speculative fiction can go for it.

14 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

You read some great books this week. The Sea Captain's Wife looks amazing. Hope you have a wonderful week.

CMash said...

Looks like you had a good week.
CMash

DCMetroreader said...

The Sea Captain's Wife looks fascinating. Enjoy your books!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I think The Sea Captains Wife sounds good - I hope you enjoyed it. Have a fun week! :D

Unknown said...

The Sea Captain's Wife sounds really interesting but the cover is not very inviting though. I hope you enjoy it.

Here's my mailbox http://bookventuresbookclub.blogspot.com/2010/07/mailbox-monday-happy-birthday.html

Happy Reading!!!!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Your book sounds good...hope you are enjoying it.

My musing:

http://meditationsbylaurelrain.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/monday-musings-2/

Bellezza said...

The Sea Captain's Wife looks good; for some reason, it reminds me of the novel Ahab's Wife, which I loved.

Kaye said...

I just got Inside Out too. The Sea Captain's Wife sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

Beverly said...

Hey there – just swinging by for Monday to see what you are reading. Have a great week. Stop by The Wormhole to check out what I have gotten and what I have been reading too. Happy reading! Bev.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Sea Captain's Wife!

Nise' said...

Great reading week. I tried reading Beat the Reaper, but could not get past the vulgar language (it was over the top for me. There are just some words I do not like reading at.all!

Anonymous said...

The Sea Captain's Wife looks really good!

Serena said...

Looks like you got some great books..happy reading.

Anonymous said...

I finished Inside Out over the weekend. My review will be up tomorrow.