Saturday, July 17, 2010

Weekly Geeks: Shiny Book Syndrome

This weeks Weekly Geeks question comes from Tara SG

What is Shiny Book Syndrome?
It is when a person only wants to read their newest book and leave piles of poor unread books on their shelves to collect dust.

What can you do to alleviate the symptoms?


I do have huge collection of unread books so much so that I feel guilty about the fact. Some of those have been there for years. Yet I don't want to get rid of those, promising myself that I will get around reading them some time soon. But the 'soon' hasn't happened.

It is true that I read more newer books nowadays. I didn't even realise that until fairly recently when I was taking stock of my books. Last week I moved lot of those books right in front of my shelves. Maybe that will help me to pick them up.


I have stopped taking part in the various challenges. This way I can read at my own pace, time and pleasure.


Having said that, I don't really think I am suffering from Shiny Book Syndrome. I always go back to my old books. Picking one or the other.


BTW, I read Saving Cee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman and The Gendarme by Mike Mustian with 24 hours of their arrival. How is that?

Do you do that too?

7 comments:

Alyce said...

I completely suffer from shiny book syndrome. Although it has less to do with the actual newness of the book, but my enthusiasm for the discovery. I end up filling my reading time with review copies and library books and then only have a minimal amount of time to read those on my shelves. A lot of the challenges I joined this year were focused on reading from my shelves and I'm still not doing that great, but at least better than last year so that's something.

Donna said...

Well, this is the first I've heard of this condition! I probably suffer from it - but just a little bit.

Susan said...

I suffer from this syndrome badly! I am always buying new books and putting them on my TBR shelves. I have to go through them one or two times a year, and clear off what I haven't read/don't want to read any more, and go through my shelves and see if there's anything I like - rotating books, if you will. But mostly, I love my new books which I've bought to read, and I do tend to read well over half of them within the first year or two of buying them. So am I worse than you? It sure seems like it! lol

I dropped most of my challenges too and am reading exactly what I want when I want to. It's kind of fun and freeing, isn't it?

Mystica said...

Of course we all do that. We all have the same disease - you are not ALONE!

Kerrie said...

It's interesting to see what suggestions people are making Gautami. Don't feel too guilty. my post.

Jessica said...

I can suffer from this but I normally ok. The reason is because when I buy a book its because I want to read right there and then. The old book on my shelf bother me though which is why Im quite good really.

Erotic Horizon said...

Hey hon..

You made me smile with that last bit... I am like that as well, While I can genrally resist the shiny things, every now and then I HAVE to get something I was looking forward to on release...

Good post...

Have a great day...

E.H>