Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

wordyweds

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Kathy of BermudaOnion

I found the following word in Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Embrasure (Page 41): In the window embrasure beside the the table where the chieftain had been working stood a little old chest.

n.

  1. An opening in a thick wall for a door or window, especially one with sides angled so that the opening is larger on the inside of the wall than on the outside.
  2. A flared opening for a gun in a wall or parapet.

[French, from embraser, to widen an opening.]

embrasured em·bra'sured adj.

8 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

I've never heard of embasure. Glad to learn something new today.

Unknown said...

Sounds like an excellent cite for an act of defenestration.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

It's interesting that so many words relating to windows come from the French. I wonder if they were "known" for windows or something!

Tea said...

I've never heard of embrasure either. I'm having a hard time picturing one. Is it like a wide window sill???

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2009/12/wondrous-words-it-happened-one-night-by.html

Margot said...

Very interesting word this week. It's new to me.

fredamans said...

Good word!!

I have none this week.

The Westie Loving Therapist said...

I have never heard of this word either and your definition gave me a great word picture. Thanks!

bermudaonion said...

What a great word - it's new to me! Thanks for participating!