Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

‘You could come on with me.’ The man’s tone had changed. ‘I’ve got a roof, supper, a comfortable bed. For a pretty little thing like you, there’s other ways of paying.’

Title:
Heart's Blood
Author: Juliet Marillier
ISBN: 9780230017917
Publisher: Pan MacMillan/2009
Pages: 56o

When Caitrin arrives at Whistling Tor, she is seeking a safe haven for herself. From her demons. Both in her mind and physically too. A deeply mysterious place, most people avoid the deep, haunted forest. There is this cursed castle and a chieftain who is considered a weakling. Anluan is a cripple and doesn't seem to have much stamina. He doesn't know how to redeem his people from that curse. A curse that no one understands. The presence of spirits known as host. They are everywhere and only Anluan is capable of controlling them. But for how long? Who are those unknown spirits? Were they people once?

Caitrin is a scribe and she is hired by Anluan to unravel the family secrets. As he can't write because he can't use his right hand much. Caitrin, while doing her work, discovers secrets which affect her too. She can understand Anluan's torment and knows that there has to be a way to find a solution. Although no one can say how.

In the midst of it, she is ordered out of Whistling Tor by Anluan and she leaves it to face her own demons. And succeeds too. However, she knows she has to go back to Anluan and his people. She has fallen in love with them. All of a sudden, she has a vision of who/what is responsible for the curse. Only she can break the curse with the help of Anluan.

It is a beautiful gothic love story, with the suspense intact until the end. It is also a story of the Beauty and the Beast. Those who like fantasy, romance, mystery, suspense, all told in a skillful way, will like this book very much. I enjoyed it immensely. One of my best reads of 2009.

25 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh my, sounds treacherous.

BTW, the link you left me was broken, thought you might wanna know.

Book Dilettante said...

Great tease. Love the cover. Here's My tease.

Yvonne said...

This sounds like something I'd like.

Great teaser!

Staci said...

This sounds like one I would totally devour!!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Run girl run! Thanks for visiting!

Zia said...

Sounds creepy. Great teaser!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Uh, oh! What a spot she's in!

My teaser:

http://laurel-rainsnowsreflections.blogspot.com/2009/12/teaser-tuesdays.html

Amy said...

Good teaser! Sounds like a great read.

fredamans said...

Sounds good.

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2009/12/teaser-tuesday_29.html

Marce said...

That sounds great. Glad you shared. And a favourite of the year wow, nice ending to 2009.

Stephanie said...

This sounds wonderful!

Mine is here

The Westie Loving Therapist said...

Sounds a bit scary.

Jennifer said...

Oh my, I hope she is okay! Great teaser. Mine is here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2009/12/saying-goodbye-to-2009-teaser-tuesdays.html

Carrie K. said...

Ooo, that teaser sounds menacing!

The Book Explorer said...

Haha. I loved this book! I remember this scene. >3

Julie J. said...

Wow....I'm adding this one to my TBR list...NOW! Great teaser! :)

jlshall said...

Sounds like an interesting fantasy novel. Great review and teaser! Here's mine.

Nise' said...

Uh oh, sounds like trouble.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Good teaser and the book sounds wonderful - I will have to check that out.

Cecelia said...

Fantasy, romance, and a fairy tale? I must read this one! Great teaser!

Thanks for coming by my blog earlier!

Laya said...

Oooooh. Sounds interesting! I hope she doesn't agree! XD

and thanks for dropping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, definitely going to add this to my list. Thanks.

Bryan R. Terry said...

Sounds (and looks) a little like a new take on Red Riding Hood. I may have to put this on my considerably lengthening TBR pile.

As you already know, my Teaser is HERE

Lisa said...

Oh! I like this one!!

here's mine

Erotic Horizon said...

I love this book my dear...

I am eagerly waiting to see what Marillier comes up with for the next in the series...

E.H>