Thursday, December 24, 2009

Booking through history

btt button

Given the choice, which do you prefer? Real history? Or historical fiction? (Assume, for the purposes of this discussion that they are equally well-written and engaging.)

I like to read both. Real history as well as historical fiction. Real history takes us right into the midst of it. Reading history and analysing it is something I like to do. It gives me a better perspective of the present world. Most of the times, I have found real history more engaging than fiction.

In Historical fiction, the uthor takes liberties with the history aspect and can twist it to suit his/her own ends. That doesn't mean that I won't read it. I do but then I know am reading it for the enjoyment part of it and not for the education about history.


4 comments:

Novroz said...

I agree with you that reading historical fiction is merely for fun not to find facts of history.

But I enjoy watching real history rather than reading it

bermudaonion said...

I enjoy both as well, as long as the history is not dry and boring.

fredamans said...

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2009/12/booking-through-thursday-history.html

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Same opinion as yours. I could read both, the latter for the fun, the former for the facts. It's good to be knowledgeable on things that other people won't bother to learn.