Thursday, December 31, 2009

Booking through best reads of 2009

btt button

What were your favorite books of the year? (Books that were new to you in 2009, if not necessarily published this year.)

I read a lot of good books. But the ones that have made an impact are the following, in no particular order (click on the titles to read my reviews):

The Unseen by T. L. Hines*
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway**
The Suicide Collecters by David Oppegaard*
My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar**
Sputnik Sweatheart by Haruki Murakami*
Breathing Out the Ghost by Kirk Curnutt**
The Horseman's Graves by Jacqueline Baker*
Random Acts of Heroic Love by David Schienmann**
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks**
Tender Graces by Kathryn Magendie*

I must not forget the following poetry books:

Judah's Lion by Anne Caston (poetry)**
A Climb Through Altered Lanscaped by Ian Parks (Poetry)*
Mainline to the Heart and Other Poems by Clive Matson (Poetry)*

15 comments:

Susan said...

I love reading your blog! You open my eyes to so many books I would have never heard of otherwise :) I'm going to have to check some of these out in the new year!

Serena said...

Breathing Out Ghost is fantastic and I loved Mainline too.

Kim said...

Great books--the Cellist of Sarajevo is on my list this year. Happy New Year!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

The Cellist of Sarajevo was a very good book. I hope to read Random Acts of Heroic Love in 2010.

Between your books and poetry you should feel proud of your accomplishments.


Have a Happy and Healthy 2010 and may all your reads be great ones too!

Unknown said...

I haven't read any of the books but I have seen a couple of the titles mentioned on other lists so they will end up on my wish list for 2010.

Happy New Year!

Nikki in Niagara said...

I've only read one book on your list! But I agree it was fabulous "The Horseman's Graves".

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I haven't heard of these either. Here is mine

Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said...

I'm really pleased to see Random Acts of Heroic Love on your list. It was my favourite read of 2008 and I am sad that it hasn't had more attention in the blogging world. I hope that you can persuade a few more people to read it.

bermudaonion said...

I've only read one of those books! My wish list is getting longer. Happy New Year!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I also would like to read The Cellist of Sarejevo.

Happy New Year to you!!!

Bryan R. Terry said...

Some of those are going right on to my TBR List. Happy 2010!

My Best and Worst of 2009 is HERE

Marce said...

Happy New Year, I love that you always have something different.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/12/countdown-of-my-favourites.html

Literary Feline said...

What a great list of books, Gautami! I really enjoyed Galloway's book when I read it too.

There are several on your list I hope to get to at some point in the future, particularly My Father's Paradise, Year of Wonders and Breathing Out the Ghost.

I hope you have a great New Year!

Anna said...

Great list! I really enjoyed Tender Graces, too.

Happy new year!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Alyce said...

I thought that Random Acts of Heroic Love was a good book too. I'm still hoping to find time to read The Cellist of Sarajevo someday soon.