Friday, December 18, 2009

Booking through speeding

btt button

What do you think of speed-reading? Is it a good way to get through a lot of books, or does the speed-reader miss depth and nuance? Do you speed-read? Is some material better suited to speed-reading than others?

I am one of those who is otherwise known as a fast reader. Speed reading is as I understand it, is to skip pages or skim pages, which not for me unless I want to finish it real quick and get on to another book. With romances I do tend to speed read. However, with other books, it is a big no-no. I prefer to read it on my own pace and time, which is infact very fast. I can read 100-120 pages in an hour. I usually finish a 400 pages book in a little more than three hours.


9 comments:

jlshall said...

Wow, that's great - I wish I could read that fast! It would take me at least a week to finish a 400 page book.

bermudaonion said...

Wow, you are a fast reader!

Sandy Jay said...

Wow! Is there a trick to reading that fast or does it just come naturally to you. I'd love to read like that. Just think of the books I could clear off my TBR shelf. :)

Harvee said...

Wow! That's good. I've never timed myself, but I think I should!

Bybee said...

Some books propel me along faster than others do...I'm an intermittent speed-reader. I prefer not to speed read though because in slowing down I have the savor and I retain more of what I've read.

pussreboots said...

Sounds like you and I read at about the same pace. My post is here.

Barbara H. said...

I don't know how fast I read, but I don't think it is very fast at all -- though it depends on what it is.

Bryan R. Terry said...

I read fast, but I don't think it is "speed-reading" per se, you know?

My BTT is HERE

Petunia said...

Did you learn to read at an early age? I have a theory, based on nothing in particular, that those who learned early or who got a lot of instruction when they were learning are faster at it. I had neither. I'm always curious if that's why I'm so slow.