Sunday, December 6, 2009

Monday: Musing/Mailbox/Whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia.

I received the following books in my mailbox:

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest from the author

From Publishers Weekly

In an alternate 1880s America, mad inventor Leviticus Blue is blamed for destroying Civil War–era Seattle. When Zeke Wilkes, Blue's son, goes into the walled wreck of a city to clear his father's name, Zeke's mother, Briar Wilkes, follows him in an airship, determined to rescue her son from the toxic gas that turns people into zombies (called rotters and described in gut-churning detail). When Briar learns that Seattle still has a mad inventor, Dr. Minnericht, who eerily resembles her dead husband, a simple rescue quickly turns into a thrilling race to save Zeke from the man who may be his father.

Conflicts of Interest by Michael Ruddy from the Publicist

T.R. Morgan, a seasoned building professional, finds himself entangled in the combined corruption of the high profile law firm that is attacking him and the insurance companies that are supposed to defend him. Still enduring the painful memories brought on by the tragic death of his wife, he soon finds out, nothing involving lawyers and insurance companies happens quickly. Instead of resolution, T.R., unwittingly enters a world of human trafficking, drugs, and illicit sex taking place behind the scenes. And his story comes forward to an explosive climax that no one could possibly foresee, least of all T.R. himself. This suspenseful tale of contemporary fiction is packed with enlightenment and high-stakes characters; provoking thought on a new subject in a new light.

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (bookmooch)


Dolores is a class-A emotional basket case, and why shouldn't she be? She's suffered almost every abuse and familial travesty that exists: Her father is a violent, philandering liar; her mother has the mental and emotional consistency of Jell-O; and the men in her life are probably the gender's most loathsome creatures. But Dolores is no quitter; she battles her woes with a sense of self-indulgence and gluttony rivaled only by Henry VIII. Hers is a dysfunctional Wonder Years, where growing up in the golden era was anything but ideal. While most kids her age were dealing with the monumental importance of the latest Beatles single and how college turned an older sibling into a long-haired hippie, Dolores was grappling with such issues as divorce, rape, and mental illness.

I bought the following 9 books last sunday and forgot to mention here. Out of those I finished read 5-9:

1) The Floating Admiral by Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, G. K. Chesterton
2) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
3) Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons
4) S. by John Updike
5)
The Emerald Swan by Jane Feather
6) Creole Angel by Peggy Hancher
7) After Innocence by Brenda Joyce

8) Night Secrets by Kat Martin
9) Midnight Magic by Betina Krahan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I finished:

The Emerald Swan by Jane Feather
Creole Angel by Peggy Hancher
After Innocence by Brenda Joyce

Night Secrets by Kat Martin
In An Uncharted Country by Clifford Garstang


I am in the midst of reading:

North Of Calcutta by Duanne Evans
Dead Floating Lovers Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli
Becoming the Villainess by Jeannine Hall Gaily (poetry)


I plan to read:

Anything that holds my interest


I posted reviews of:

In the Shadow of the Glacier by Vicki Delany
Judah's Lion by Anne Caston

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Musing Mondays (BIG)
Do you have your own idea of what constitutes proper library etiquette? Is there anything you always try to do? Anything you hate when others do?

Foremost thing is one ought to be silent in a library. Some people just don't get it and jabber away. Then there are those who dog-ear books. I truly hate that. Some library users simply stand at a place and don't let others browse. I have found chewing gums inside books and that completely maddens me.


17 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Great book week! I loved She's Come Undone - hope you enjoy it too.

Nan said...

I read She's Come Undone years ago. I remember loving it. Happy reading!

Veens said...

wow! what a lovely post! you have some great books lined up :)

Kristen said...

What a great week in books! Enjoy your reading. And I think you need to buy some more to replace all the ones you managed to speed through this past week. LOL!

Teddyree said...

Some great books there, happy reading. I've been meaning to read a Brenda Joyce book, maybe in 2010.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Someone else had Boneshaker on her list today. I've had She's Come Undone on the shelf for ages. I really need to read it one of these days.
Have a good week!

DCMetroreader said...

She's Come Undone is a wonderful book! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

I want to read Boneshaker! It's on my TBR pile of Steampunk books.

Sassy Brit
Alternative-Read.com
ABOUT MY MONDAY

Anonymous said...

The Age of Innocence and She's Come Undone are both exceptional!

Serena said...

wow, great week in books. Happy reading.

Ruth Schaller said...

Nice list of books. There are quite a few that I have never even heard of. Where have I been? LOL

Hope you have a great week! :D

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

You have quite a great selection of books there. I have She's Come Undone here too tbr. I have heard it is a great read! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I really want to read a book by Brenda Joyce.

Marce said...

What a great week. Conflicy of interest looks good. I have heard great things about She's Come Undone.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/12/yaaaaaaaay-new-books.html

Cathy Ikeda said...

Fabulous post. I read She's Come Undone years ago and remember enjoying it. Have a productive week!

Minding the Middle

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great week. I read She's Come Undone, but don't remember anything about it. Boneshaker looks interesting, if only zombies were my thing.

Anna said...

Lots of interesting books! I read "She's Come Undone" ages ago, and while I don't remember the details, I remember that I really liked it.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric