Thursday, July 8, 2010

Booking through discussion

btt button

Do you have friends and family to share books with? Discuss them with? Does it matter to you?

I have friends and family who read books. But what I and they read seldom match. My friends are mostly into romance reading along with Chick Lit. Nowadays, my brothers read sci-fi or techie books. They also go for the most popular books. The kind of books I read are mostly unheard by them. However, my love for Crime Fiction is a result of reading my brothers books. My eldest brother loved Perry Mason and Agatha Christie novels. He gave the lot to me. My middle brother gave me his Alistair MacLean collection. My younger brother contributed to my Tintin and Asterix albums. My dad used to buy me Physics books. My mother read short stories.

I have discussed books with them. On and off. Not in a regular basis though. Now I and my 13 year old nephew talk about graphic novels.

Discussion or not, I am blessed to be born a family of readers! Despite the fact that I read the most!

11 comments:

Audrey said...

I think you're right! Even if you don't share the same books you're lucky to be born into a family of readers! (I'm the same.)

Kristin said...

My husband loves reading Agatha Christie and has a huge collection of her books.

Here are my thoughts.

bermudaonion said...

Both my mom and sister are big readers, but, since I pass my books on to them, we rarely read the same book at the same time. Sometimes it's been so long since I've read the book, I've forgotten too much of it to discuss it with them.

Harris Channing said...

You're very luck to have had brothers to add to you book collection! And whether or not you're reading the same thing, books are something you all have in common!

Here's what I had to say: http://harrischanningauthor.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo said...

I'm always talking about books with my friends. Of course my book club always has good discussions too, but I found that there were so many books that I wanted to read that they weren't interested in and that's why I started my blog.

Nise' said...

I have family and friends that read, but definitely not as much as I do and therefore don't want to talk as much as I do about books. Which is why blogging is so great!!

Terry Elisabeth said...

You are lucky!
I have a family that reads but we don't read the same things.

Amused said...

That's great that you have a family that reads so much! I only have a couple of family members that read a lot but those that do, I love to discuss books with!

Anachronist said...

Do you have friends and family to share books with?
No I don't.
Does it matter to you?
Yes it does. That's why I visit different book blogs.

Anonymous said...

I rarely get the chance to discuss books because most of my friends don't read or can't keep up with me. :) My college literature classes were when I got to discuss books that someone else had read.

Anonymous said...

I congratulate, what excellent answer.