Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cold Skin by Steven Herrick

They named me Eddie
after Mum's father
who died before I was born.
'A queit, stubborn bastard,'
says my dad.
I am not sure if he's talking about
grandad or me.

Title: Cold Skin
Author: Steven Herrick
ISBN: 9781741751291
Publisher: Allen & Unwin/2007
Pages: 264

A story told in verse, it is about a teenaged boy Eddie Holder, who lives in a small mining town, Burruga in Australia. The time period is after the world war II. He wants to leave school and work as a miner but his dad is dead against it. HIs brother Larry wishes to leave the town after finishing school. Their teacher, Mr Butcher is not a good man and is detested by most people in that town, including the Mayor.

Nothing much seems to be happening other than small fights. Then a beautiful girl is found murdered, and the suspicion of her murder falls on many men of that town. And truthfully anyone could have done it.

Told in the voices of Eddie, Larry and Sally, the teacher and Mayor, the story unfolds beautifully. Initially the voices do seem disjointed but tie up in a satisfying manner. Told in the form of verse, the chapters are at the most two pages and contain everything in a nutshell. Herrick has managed to hold that tension essential for whodunits until the end.

Eddie likes to observe people and draw his own conclusions. And it is from his viewpoints that we are able to get into the heart and mind of the characters in this fast-paced book. Works well as a YA novel.

And I am a sucker for poetry, I totally loved this book. Thanks to the author for my copy!

28 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds unique!

Mine is here:

http://laurel-rain-snow.blogspot.com/2009/12/teaser-tuesdays_15.html

Yvonne said...

Sounds like an interesting one!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I've never heard of this one. My teaser is here:
http://theliterarystew.blogspot.com

Nise' said...

I read this book Sunday and like its unique style.

Andrea said...

Great teaser. It sounds like an interesting book, though I rarely read books in verse.

Alayne said...

Ooh very creepy. Here's my teaser.

CeeCee said...

One must name their children after positive people. Enjoy.

Marce said...

This book sounds engaging and beautiful in style. Thanks, this would be my 1st book I have added from you.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/12/teaser-tuesday-wrong-mother.html

Jo-Jo said...

This sounds like a very interesting book...thanks for the teaser!

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of this book being in verse -- not something I've encountered before!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fascinating story and I love the idea that it's all told in verse.

Heather said...

An intriguing teaser, sounds like a unique reading experience. Thanks for visiting!

WordTrix

jlshall said...

How interesting! Never would have thought of a whodunit in verse form, but why not? Good teaser.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Sounds interesting. Thanks for visiting.

Beth said...

Sounds very interesting!

The Bookworm said...

this does sound unique!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Staci said...

Loved that teaser...totally drew me in to wanting to know more!!

Wanda said...

I love stories told in free verse! Great teaser, I'll be sure to look this one up, thanks!

Brenda Hyde said...

Hmmm...I don't think I've ever read a modern book that was written in verse, but the little snippet you posted was cool. Thanks for visiting my snippet:)

Laya said...

Sounds interesting!

Thanks for dropping by my teaser! :)

Heather Thomas - advocate for change said...

This would be a good one for my genre challenge. I need to get on some poetry and this sounds alot more unique than what I have on my shelves.

Happy Reading!
Heather
I did one too if you wanna check it out!
http://2manygoodbooks.blogspot.com/2009/12/teaser-tuesday-shades-of-grey.html

Susan said...

I love that teaser! Once again I've found a new book to check out :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Well that is a teaser that has me wanting to know more; thanks so much

Bryan R. Terry said...

I like it--very intriguing.

My Teaser can be found HERE

kayerj said...

hah, fun teaser--sounds like a good book. Thanks for stopping by

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Ooh, sounds interesting!

Jennifer said...

This sounds like an excellent read. I am off to check it out further.

Miss Moppet said...

I like that - similar to haikus.