Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Undertaker's Widow by Phillip M. Margolin

Title: The Undertaker's Widow
Author: Phillip M. Margolin
ISBN: 9780751524536
Publisher: Warner Books/1998
Pages: 372

Book Description

Judge Richard Quinn is young, idealistic, and honest to a fault. That's why he's handed the most sensational homicide case in Oregon history. Locked in a race for the U.S. Senate, Ellen Crease gunned down the intruder who murdered her wealthy husband. In a single, brutal instant she became a widow, a victim, and a hero. Soon it becomes clear that a deadly plot of murder, blackmail, passion, and double cross is unfolding around Judge Richard Quinn. And unless he breaks the rules, justice will not only be blind, it will be the final victim.

My Review:

Senator Ellen Hoyt is in the midst of a campaign. Late one night, someone enters her home with the intent of robbery or murdering her or her husband, who is a rich man, an Undertaker. Ellen guns down the man who had killed her husband. First she is taken for grieving widow, a victim which helps her in the campaign. But her rival can't stomach that. They have to get to her and they find it via Judge Quinn, who is as upright as one can be. However, Richard Quinn has some personal issues. His marriage is crumbling. A moment of weakness gets him into a spot. Powerful people want him to put down Crease. They have to get her out of the way. Quinn faces the truth that justice can be bent to suit ones end. He is at his wits end to protect himself and also the senator.

He tries to investigate it all by himself. And finds some unpleasant facts. He gets embroiled in murder, and blackmail. Is he able to save himself? And the senator?

It is good legal thriller which keeps the reader on the edge. The motive and murderer are unknown until the end. The ending comes as bit of a surprise. A good year end read. Those who like thrillers will enjoy this fast paced book.

14 comments:

Beth said...

What a plot! Here is my "U" book.

Yvonne said...

This sounds like something I'd like to read.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
This sounds so good! I'll be putting this on my TBR list. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I like books that keep you guessing until the end!

Mine is here:

http://weboftyranny.blogspot.com/2009/12/z-wednesday_30.html

Anonymous said...

I love thrillers!

Thanks for playing!

Joyful said...

Hmmm...You have my interest. I would like to read this one.

My `U` is here:
http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/unseen-essential-by-james-p-gills-md.html

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good one. I haven't read a legal thriller for quite a while.

Anonymous said...

I love political thrillers. I'll have to look for this one.

Kristen said...

Sounds like a racing thriller!

My U book is here.

Zia said...

Sounds like a book I would enjoy.

me again said...

I thought I had read this when I saw the author and title, but the plot isn't ringing any bells. I'm going to have to add this to my ever-growing TBR pile.
If you want to have a look, here's my U book.
Happy new year!
==lennie==

Nise' said...

I like books that keep me on the edge of my seat.

Irene said...

thanks for stopping by, this sounds really interesting, I must stop adding to my TBR pile it's getting unmanageable or not.

Bryan R. Terry said...

Sounds interesting.

My U Book is HERE