Saturday, May 29, 2010

Weekly Geeks: Getting Graphic

Do you read graphic novels or memoirs? Who are your favorite authors? Which books do you recommend?

If you haven't read any, why not?

Some people have the impression that graphic novels are glorified comic books, are unsophisticated or don't qualify as "serious" literature. What do you think? If you track your book numbers, do you count a graphic novel as a book read?

I have always been reading graphic novels. Although they were known as comic books before the terminology Graphic novels came up. I used to gobble up the Asterix and Tintin albums. I still do. Any one who has read Asterix and/or Tintin books, would consider those as serious reading. They depicted the political situations of those times and were a satire on the society at large.I do count those books towards my book number except for comics like Archie and all. However. to a certain extent, the Archie comics too reflect the teenage years and teenage life, although in a lighter vein.

Anyone recommending good Graphic novels is most welcome to do so in the comments section. I would appreciate that very much.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually don't read graphic novels. I used to when I was a teenager but then for some reason I stopped. I tried reading Manga a few years back but it just didn't work for me.

Rikki said...

Hey, I don't read graphic novels, but I am an avid Archie reader.

Mish said...

I still have a few of my old Archie comics from my teen years. I agree about Asterix and politics.

pussreboots said...

I have a link to all of my graphic novel reviews posted as part of my weekly geeks answer.

Kerrie said...

Now I understand what you mean about Asterix and TinTin Gautami - I've enjoyed them too - but somehow I didn't think of them as graphic novels when I wrote my post. I wouldn't count them as "reading a novel".

Erotic Horizon said...

Any one who has read Asterix and/or Tintin books, would consider those as serious reading. They depicted the political situations of those times and were a satire on the society at large

You make me smile with this - I have fond memories of these two..

And I agree with you...

E.H>

Karen Russell said...

I guess I'm like Kerrie and don't really think of them as "reading a novel," but it is reading and can make you think.