Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: In the Wake of Boatman by Jonathon Scott Fuqua

"He should crack his little boy's neck as gently as possible. It would be like saving two lives."
~Page 1

Title: in the wake of the boatman
Author: Jonathon Scott Fuqua
ISBN: 978-1890862428
Publisher: Bancroft Press/2008
Pages: 320

Right from his birth, Puttnum Douglas Steward, is considered no good by his father. He is ignored and faces antagonism at every step. He always seeks attention ut his father has closed his mind and thinks Puttnam is non-existent for him. The boy struggles to prove himself to his father but for no avail. Then he gets into University of Virginia on an ROTC scholarship. His life changes. There he has a fling with his cadet commandent. He also experiments with cross dressing and finds that it is what he is.

In this novel, Putt has a lot of dilemmas: father/son conflict, homosexuality, transsexuality, war, alcoholism, death, loneliness, friendship, and romantic anguish. This novel wholly embolds its ambitious scope, including the ambiguity and loose ends that are part of any complex personalty. Putt is a complicated yet so very real protagonist with enough emotional courage to bind together the deeply conflicting issues depicted in the novel.

In the Wake of the Boatman is well written, filled with poetic prose. The novel contains a nuanced and worthy portrait of a life struggling towards fulfillment. Putt pulls off the book all by himself.

17 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, it sounds like this book covers a lot of issues. Sounds good to me!

Teddy Rose said...

This book sounds quite intriguing. I just added it to my TBR.

Novroz said...

Ow my...that's a scary teaser!! Very intriguing

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, my, that conjures up all kinds of emotion!

Here's mine:

http://rainysnowday.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/teaser-tuesdays-10/

Jenny Q said...

Wow! Great teaser! I really want to read this book! Here's my teaser for Watermark.

Alayne said...

Quite a disturbing teaser! Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

Kaye said...

Hoo- sounds like a lot going on in this one. Deep!
Glad you are enjoying the book. My TT is here
Have a great week and happy reading!

Michelle said...

Sad to say, this book covers a lot of ground of real life.
Thanks for the review

My `Teaser` is up

Jennifer said...

Oh my, what a beginning. I am adding this to my list. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/05/teaser-tuesdays-sea-witch.html

fredamans said...

The teaser is disturbing, but as a whole the book looks great!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/05/teaser.html

Beth said...

Wow! What a teaser. Here is my teaser for this week.

Beverly said...

Creepy and disturbing teaser. Here is mine

Audrey said...

Oh dear - that's not good! Nice teaser :)

HERE is my teaser for this week.

Missy B. said...

Hmmmm, definitely sounds different. It is intruiging though. Good teaser!

Clarissa said...

Wow. Sounds really deep. Here is mine http://limpetsandpenguins.blogspot.com

Julie J. said...

This is a great teaser!! I'm adding this book to my TBR list!

Anonymous said...

I have this book but still haven't read it! We got this posted at War Through the Generations today.