Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mondays: Mailbox/Musings/Whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia.

I received two books:

The Rule Book by Rob Kitchin

April in the Wicklow mountains and a young woman is found dead, seemingly sacrificed.Accompanying her body is Chapter One of The Rule Book – a self-help guide for prospective serial killers. Less than twenty four hours later a second murder is committed. Self-claiming the title ‘The Raven’, the killer starts to taunt the police and the media. When the third body is discovered it is clear that The Raven intends to slaughter one victim each day until The Rule Book is published in full. With the pressure from his superiors, the press, and politicians rising, McEvoy stumbles after a killer that is seemingly several steps ahead.

Snowbound by Blake Crouch

For Will Innis and his daughter, Devlin, the loss was catastrophic. Will’s wife, Devlin’s mother, vanished one night during an electrical storm on a lonely desert highway and, suspected of her death, Will took his daughter and fled. Then one night, a hard edged FBI agent appears on their doorstep and says, I know you’re innocent, because Rachael wasn’t the first… or the last.."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the past week:

I finished:

A Summer Secret by Kathleen Fuller
The Rule Book by Rob Kitchin
Snowbound by Blake Crouch

I am in the midst of reading:

too many books

I posted reviews of:

A Summer Secret by Kathleen Fuller

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons
The Cold Room by J T Ellison
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you ever read a word or phrase that sparks a specific place or setting in your mind and makes you crave to read a book with that type of place/setting in it?

I like books based in the countryside, beaches, mountains. In other words, which are in commune with nature. I tink all of us want to be near nature in one form or other, especially for those who live in concrete jungles, like I do. (BTW, I live in Delhi). It is not to say I don't like books based in such places. Whatever book I read takes me into a journey. A new journey everytime. With reading, we become world travellers. Therefore, any book with good setting is a spark, for me to read it till the end.

22 comments:

fredamans said...

Happy reading!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/05/mailbox-weekly_30.html

pussreboots said...

Enjoy your books. I received one for review and I bought three others. Pussreboots.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

These sound chillingly good...thanks for stopping by my blog.

Carrie said...

Ooh. Snowbound looks really interesting!

Thanks for your comment over at my post as well!

- Carrie, 5 Minutes for Books
www.5minutesforbooks.com

Erotic Horizon said...

Doesn't Snowbound sound like the book to read..

I love that blurb...

Hope you have a better reading week this week..

E.H>

Jan von Harz said...

I really like the sound of Snowbound. very thrilling. Hope you enjoy it. Have a great week.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

The Rule Book sounds like an interesting read.

Enjoy your books! :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

These looks wonderful; enjoy. Here is my post:

http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/

Lydia said...

Hah! i totally understand that "too many books" thing!

Here is my Monday!

Unknown said...

Happy reading. Hope you have a great week. Here's my mailbox

http://bookventuresbookclub.blogspot.com/2010/05/mailbox-monday_31.html

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Snowbound sounds my sorta book!

Hope you enjoy them- good selection!

Here's mine if you'd like to drop by!

Happy Monday!

Sassy
:)

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Snowbound sounds good and that cover looks refreshing since I am sitting here in the heat and humidity!

CMash said...

I was LOL with your answer to "what were you reading" Great answer. Thanks for the laugh.
CMash

Athira said...

I'm also in the midst of reading too many books. Uff! I have to break out of it.

Have a good week!

Kristen said...

I love that you're in the middle of "too many books." This is the first week in a long time that I'm not but I generally have that same issue!

MizB said...

I think you'd probably enjoy "Mosquito" by Roma Tearne. Here it is at Amazon.com. It's set in the jungles of Sri Lanka. :)

~MizB

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Child 44 was recommended to me by a friend and I picked it up form the library but have not had time to read it yet. Hope you liked it.

E.J. Stevens said...

My What are you reading? is here.

Happy Monday. :)

xx,
E.J
From the Shadows

Unknown said...

The Rule Book looks interesting...that is a new author to me. Have a great reading week!

caite said...

as to your MM..

I think certainly books can transport us and we all have a certain sort of setting we particularly enjoy being transported to. So books that we know will do that often grab our attention. My answer has a similar idea.

Joy Renee said...

I too find setting an essential element of story. The setting of the novel I just finished--a poison gas afflicted 1860s alt-history Seattle under dreary winter drizzle--had me longing for a setting where a deep breath isn't life threatening. I'm hoping the next novel set on a snowbound archipelago will have a more liberating feel to it. But only if that's what the story requires.
my Monday reading roundup.

Serena said...

Looks like you got a couple of good books to read. Enjoy them.