Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday Find: Serena by Ron Rash

Serena by Ron Rash

Book Description:

The year is 1929, and newlyweds George and Serena Pemberton travel from Boston to the North Carolina mountains where they plan to create a timber empire. Although George has already lived in the camp long enough to father an illegitimate child, Serena is new to the mountains -- but she soon shows herself to be the equal of any man, overseeing crews, hunting rattle-snakes, even saving her husband's life in the wilderness. Together this lord and lady of the woodlands ruthlessly kill or vanquish all who fall out of favor. Yet when Serena learns that she will never bear a child, she sets out to murder the son George fathered without her. Mother and child begin a struggle for their lives, and when Serena suspects George is protecting his illegitimate family, the Pembertons' intense, passionate marriage starts to unravel as the story moves toward its shocking reckoning.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Rash is a local author for me, and I've had this book for far too long. I need to read it!

Bybee said...

Oh, it sounds really cool. Must find, must read!

Liz said...

So I'm reading along on your description -- and then I get to the part about Serena setting out to murder George's son! Woah! Wasn't expecting that at all. I'm going to have to give this one a look. For myself, I'm about to start the new Elizabeth George book about INspector Lynley of New Scotland Yard. And on the non-fiction front, my husband has a book laying about I'm going to look through, in the interests of learning about men's health. The book is "To Pee or Not to Pee -- comprehensive, easy to read and easy to understand. If nothing else, my husband says it's given him confidence to actually talk to the doctor and not be intimidated by the stethoscope.

Serena said...

This is a book that has been on my tbr list. I think I initially put it on the list because my first name is the title.