Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Kathy of BermudaOnion. Here you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. 

I have not done this for a long time but I saw found some unusual words while reading The Frozen Shroud by Martin Edwards thought of posting for the meme!

Grassing: I think she even contemplated grassing Shenagh up, but in the end,  she decided there was no point.

Grass upInform on someone to the police

"Grasser. One who gives information. A 'squealer’ or ‘squeaker'. The origin derives from rhyming slang: grasshopper - copper; a 'grass' or 'grasser' tells the 'copper' or policeman."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stroppy: Don't get stroppy, Hannah, I'd rather part on good terms.

Stroppy means to be grumpy, flying off the handle for no apparent reason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sots: We're not a pair of drunken sots, you know.

Sots means a person stupefied by or as if by drink

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've heard sots before. Grass up is totally new to me - I would never had guessed its meaning. Thanks for playing along today!

grammajudyb said...

Grass up and stroppy are both new to me. I have heard of sot before, but I don't use it very often. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Two new words for me.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/wondrous-words-wednesday_26.html

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Guatami,

All three of your words were such typically English sayings, all of which are used on a regular daily basis here, that I could only assume that 'The Frozen Shroud' was an English book.

I checked it out, as I did not recognise the author and now I have a whole new set of great sounding stories to add to my TBR shelves, as Martin writes in my favourite genre of mystery/thriller, so thanks for introducing me to him, this week.

My hubbie accuses me of being 'stroppy' on a regular basis and I guess that much of the time he is probably right, as I quite often find myself getting short tempered for no apparent reason, although I put it down to my age!!

I hope that you decide to take part in the meme mor regularly, it is always good to talk with you.

Yvonne