Thursday, June 27, 2013

Booking through Summer Reading

btt button

It’s time for summer reading, so … today’s question? What’s the worst thing you ever did to your reading material? Sand in the bindings from the beach? Dropped into the pool? Covers smeared with sunscreen?

And, if you’ve never done actual summer-time damage … have you EVER damaged your book/magazine/paper? Dropped it in the bathtub? Used it to kill a bug? Spilled with coffee?

I am not a beach reader. Mainly, because I live far away from the beaches. So I have not damaged any book by sand, water or sunscreen.

BUT

I have once used a book to kill a bug....also have spilled tea on one of my books! The first one was a trashy novel, so I do not regret killing a bug with it but yes, spilling tea on a favourite book was an accident and I was a tragedy queen for days. I bought another copy!! It was a TinTin album and destroying one is a sacrilege!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

does trashy novel means that it doesn't worth?
what novel is it?

Bibliophile said...

Damage to a favourite book feels terrible. I remember wanting to kill someone who tore a page in one of my Lucky Luke comics when I was a kid.

Vilia said...

I remember reading Tintin years ago. Did you ever come across Asterix and Obelix? That was my other favourite comic.

gautami tripathy said...

I have all the Albums of Asterix. I love those to bits!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sad when a book we love is damaged...here's my story at MY BTT POST

Unknown said...

I spilled fishy marinade on mine.. :'(


Andrea K. @ Books and Bindings
Booking Through Thursday

Hazel said...

Damage on a fave book? I would be tragedy queen too if it happened to one of mine. Knock on wood.

Hazel

Anonymous said...

Yes, that has happened to some of us, and it hurts when it's a treasured book.
Blogbukufaraziyya (to answer question): trashy in this case probably meaning a book not worth worrying about, or could mean trashy as my mother used the term, meaning a book that is not esteemed literature, and relies on sexy soap opera storylines throughout.

Anonymous said...

There are worse things you can do to a book. I once had a book returned to me that had been dropped in the bathtub!

bermudaonion said...

I've never done anything like that but other people have to my books - a friend dropped one in the bathtub and another friend spilled wine on another.

Unknown said...

I hate damaging any book, which is why I hardly ever lend them out.