Sunday, March 21, 2010

TSS: The Widow's Season by Laura Brodie

Sarah McConnell’s husband had been dead three months when she saw him in the grocery store.

Title: The Widow's Season
Author: Laura Brodie
ISBN: 9780425227657
Publisher: Berkeley Books/2009
Pages: 303

Sarah is 39 years old with a history of miscarriages behind her. Her husband David is presumed dead while kayaking. His body was never found. When she sees him in that grocery store, she starts thinking about other times when she had seen him and now wonders that he might be alive. On Halloween night David turns up at their home and gives her an explanation as why he decided to disappear. She wants to believe him. She even helps him getting things while he is in the hiding. For her he is very much alive.

She sees it a way of righting everything that had gone wrong in their marriage. She doesn't tell anyone about her meetings with David. She stops questioning if he is fantasy or real. In the mean time David's brother Nate turns out to be good friend. Both realise that they have always been attracted towards each other. Sarah doesn't know how David would react to that. And when David finds out, Sarah has to let go of one of the two men.

Accepting the loss of a loved one is not easy. Sarah learns it as we go along. Her meetings with other widows too do nothing to ease her feelings.What is the truth about David? The reader gets to know that in the last few pages. Sarah feelings are so tangible. Her grief, loss and emotions jump out of the book. And she knows she has to do the right thing. In a way, David helps her do that. For a debut, it is good book. Brodie is worth checking out.

Thanks to the author for my copy.

13 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

That would freak me out if someone I thought was dead just turned up, or I started seeing them all around the town. Sounds intriguing.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This is one book that sounds so good (I have it). I MUST find time for it. Such a great review--thank you

Mystica said...

I read about this book some other place and thought it must be really good. I must try to find it somewhere!

Pam said...

Sounds good if a little creepy and maybe sad.

Jennifer said...

This sounds like a rather intriguing novel. I will look into it further.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Mmmm...intriguing!

And I'm reading about France. I welcome any thoughts you might have about good books to read about France!

bermudaonion said...

Wow, it makes me wonder what I would do in the same situation.

Yvonne said...

This sounds great. I'm adding it to my list.

Anna said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I liked it a lot, especially how Brodie makes you feel Sarah's emotions.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Veens said...

SOunds like something I might like. Will add this to my wish list pile.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

This sounds like a great book. It makes one think what they would do. I'll be putting it on my wish list! Great review!

Serena said...

I really enjoyed how you wallowed in the grief with the character. I think this was a great first book.

Anonymous said...

I have this one on my shelf. Can't wait to read it!