Monday, March 22, 2010

Crime Fiction Alphabet: The Witness by Sandra Brown

Title: The Witness
Author: Sandra Brown
ISBN: 9780446191548
Publisher: Warner Books/2006
Pages: 438


I have read a few Sandra Brown books. Mostly romances. This one is not and I thought I would post it for W of Crime Fiction Alphabet. Thanks Kerrie for hosting it but I don't know what I am going to post for X, Y and Z.

The Witness is different from Sandra Brown's usual novels. It is about a laywer and her infant son. Kendell Deaton is the best public defender in Prosper, South Carolina. However, with no fault of hers, she gets enbroiled in ugly dealings in the town. She knows she has to get away from it to save herself and her son. She can go to any limits to do that. Even if it means to skip the law. She is trying to escape and her car has a nasty accident. She saves herself and her baby from the wreck along with the driver of the car, who loses his memory in the accident. She claims he is John, her husband and one night escapes from the hospital along with him and her baby. John is sceptical of her claim but he can't do a thing about it as he has lost his memory.

She is a consummate liar. She tells it with ease and at the drop of a hat. John does not believe her and also he is very scared of the infant. Still he is not ready to let her go out of her sight. He senses that she is in some sort of trouble. He is also aware that she is capable of looking ater herself.

This novel has all the ingredients for holding our interest-- guns, federal officers, mystery, secrets, and evil men chasing. The pace is good and that means I finished at one go after I started it. Not a heavy read but good for a change. I liked it.

4 comments:

Kerrie said...

Thanks for this Gautami. Haven't read a Sandra Brown in a while.

Anonymous said...

Gautami - Thanks for this review :). This one sounds like a well-paced novel, which I always think is a "plus," and the characters sound intriguing. I'll have to check this one out.

Dorte H said...

I don´t think I have read anything by Sandra Brown, but perhaps I should try her.

I think most of us will run into problems with the last letters.

Anonymous said...

This is one Sandra Brown book I don't remember reading.