Monday, March 22, 2010

Mondays: Mailbox/Musings/Whereabouts and my Birthday too

Today it is my birthday (22nd March). I had looked forward of it being the best one of my life but that didn't happen. So what? I can still celebrate it, can't I? I will gift myself with some jewellery, I am hankering after. Another pair of Platinum studs and of course, books. What else should I buy? I wouldn't mind suggestions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia.

I received two books in the past two weeks:

1) Taste of Cherry by Kara Candito

In Kara Candito’s prize-winning debut collection a “garish/human theatre” comes to life against richly textured geographic and psychic landscapes. These poems are high-speed meditations on a world where Walter Benjamin meets the “glitzy chain-link of Chanel scarves” and Puccini’s Tosca meets the din of the Times Square subway station.

2) The Widows Season by Laura Brodie

Sarah is 39 years old with a history of miscarriages behind her. Her husband David is presumed dead while kayaking. His body was never found. When she sees him in that grocery store, she starts thinking about other times when she had seen him and now wonders that he might be alive.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the past week:

I finished:


A Friend of the Family Lauren Grodstein
A Girl with a Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Widow's Season by Laura Brodie

I am in midst of reading:

Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino
Theft of the Master by Edwin Alexander

I plan to read:

anything that interests me

I posted reviews of:

A Friend of the Family Lauren Grodstein
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Graphic Novel)
Devil's Food Cake Josi S> Kilpack
Dead Floating Lovers by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli
Venon my Jane Brody
The Widow's Season by Laura Brodie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays2 Where do you keep the books on the top of the tbr pile? Not the bunk of the mountain, but just the tip of the peak – the ‘almost up to’ books?

I keep the tbr books on my computer table. I want those to be easily accessible. There are some on the side stool of my bed too. So much so that, they fall on the floor if I try moving it!

And still I end up buying books.

22 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Happy Birthday! If it were my birthday, I'd buy books and cake and ice cream!

Melody said...

Happy Birthday, Gautami! :)

Violet said...

Happy Birthday Gautami!!!

Have a rocking year ahead.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You and my daughter share the same birthday; have a happy day.

pussreboots said...

Happy Birthday. We just celebrated my husband's birthday. Three books for me this week. You can see them here.

Becca said...

Hope your birthday rocks! I tried leaving you a msg on FB but for some reason it was acting all weird and not letting me. :/

BooksPlease said...

Happy Birthday!

Really what I like for my birthday (apart from books) is a trip out somewhere in the countryside and a pub or restaurant meal to end the day - or a trip to the theatre would be nice.

DCMetroreader said...

Happy Birthday Gautami! I think you should definitely indulge in a few presents. I always vote for jewelery!

I've heard so many terrific things about the Widow's Season that I would like to read it. I'll have to check out your review to see if you liked it too.

Enjoy your books & have a great week!

Anna said...

Happy birthday!! I'm not much of a jewelry person, and aside from books, I don't want much. I'm off to check out your review of The Widow's Season right now...

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

DanaB said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you find some brightness in the day--buy books and cake, as other posters said :)

The Widow's Season looks interesting...

~~

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Happy Birthday! Books and jewelry make fantastic birthday gifts! Enjoy your day!

Veens said...

Happy BDay Gautami! And you have some great books lined up!

tweezle said...

Happy Birthday Gautami! You should most definitely buy yourself something a bit extravagant. You deserve it!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday!

You have some interesting books this week. I hope that you will enjoy them. As for MM: I don't have a TBR pile. Here's my Monday Musing.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! Books are definitely a good idea for gifting yourself without guilt. Enjoy!

Serena said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you got some great presents! I really liked The Widow's Season...but I really want to read Taste of Cherry by Kara Candito!

Kaye said...

A very happy birthday wish to you! The Widow's Season looks very interesting.

Have a good week and happy reading.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday it seems - and happy reading :)

Yvonne said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! Hope you had a great day!

Carrie K. said...

Happy Birthday, Gautami! I hope you spoil yourself rotten. :)

And I loved The Widow's Season - it's a great read.

Staci said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Have fun with your mailbox goodies!

Nise' said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!

Great reading week. Did you like Dragon Tattoo?

I try to keep my piles out of the way of everyone.