Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Salon: Only reading can help

The Sunday Salon.com

In mid February I wrote that my life was in a good place and I was looking forward to great changes in the coming months. Come March, my happiness simply flew away. Right now I am in a very sad and lonely place. How do I deal with that? More precisely, how am I dealing with that? I turned to books. Only they could offer me solace from my grief. Yes, I am grieving and turned to my most dependable friends. In 14 days, I have read 10 books, most of those are crime fiction. I need to get out my mind and I find that crime fiction is helping me do that. I don't know when I will get out of my despair but I will. Sometimes it does take a bit of time. Coming back to books, my trusted friends, I read the following:

Dead Floating Lovers by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli (CF)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie--Graphic Novel (CF)
the clouds roll away Sibella Giorella (CF)
Venom by Joan Brady (CF)
Lethal Experiment by John Locke (CF)
Lethal People by John Locke (CF)
Zan-Gah A prehistoric Adventure by A. R. Shickman

Devil's Food Cake by Josi S. Kilpack (CF)
The Secret Keeper by Paul Harris (CF)
When She Flew by Jennie Shortridge


I have written reviews of 7, three of which are scheduled to come in the next few days. I will write the rest in the next few days. Nothing like plunging oneself into reading and writing to get out of the sadness. I am writing poetry too. I am not ok right now but will definitely will be in the coming weeks. My hectic work schedule too is helping me.

Now how do you deal with grief? Please do share. I would like to know that. Maybe it will help me to deal better..

11 comments:

Louise said...

I recently lost my father unexpectedly (meaning that there had been no prior illness and that he simply died falling off his bike after a trip to the supermarket and was dead before he hit the ground), and after the initial shock, I have been trying to deal with the grief by getting along with life. I may have been working more than usual in the first month after his death, and when I stopped working so much, I did feel the grief more. I am still trying to come to terms with it, since its only been 3 months.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm so sorry to hear you have been grieving. I am glad that books have brought you some comfort.

I have difficulty concentrating when I am sad, and must focus on light reads only. I find myself sleeping more than usual which is not a good way to deal with things I know.

I hope you find sunnier days soon.

bermudaonion said...

I'm sorry to see that you're going through a difficult place and I pray that you find solace soon.

Meghan said...

I'm sorry to hear you're grieving. I tend to escape in lighter reads when I'm unhappy, if I can focus enough to read at all. I hope you can find happiness again soon.

serendipity_viv said...

Life is definitely a rollercoaster. One minute everything is brilliant and life looks good, then all of sudden the earth falls away from under your feet. I hope things get better for you soon.

I actually buy books when I am happy, it is like a release to me, just buying them.

Sycorax Pine said...

Oh, I am so sorry things are hard right now. Sometimes you do, absolutely do, have to *lose* yourself in a book. Or, for that matter, in the act of writing. Both, at their best, are utterly consuming activities that take us out of ourselves. I admire you for having such great coping mechanisms; when I am grieving something, I just tend to worry away at it unhealthily, unhelpfully, and sleeplessly.

Yvonne said...

I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through.

I like to buy books when things go bad for me.

I hope things get better for you.

Gavin said...

I am glad that books are helping you get through your grief. For me being outside helps me through difficult times. Walking along the beach or even just digging in the garden, doing things I love to do. Be well.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I'm sorry to hear things are hard right now, but I completely understand how easy it can be to fall into reading for comfort. Good luck.

JoAnn said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time.. am sending prayers your way.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Life is short. No time to spend sad. The beauty of the world revives me. Humor revives me. Books revive me.

I've been studying happiness a few years now. Stay connected. That's a biggie. Avoid overthinking. Avoid comparisons.

Most of all, stay connected.