Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: Devil's Food Cake by Josi S. Kilpack

Sadie looked at the body of the man who wasn't supposed to be at the podium at all."He's dead?" She asked, a lump in her throat.

Title: Devil's Food Cake
Author: Josi S. Kilpack
ISBN: 97816064123229
Publisher: Deseret Book/2010
Pages: 348

Thom Mortenson is back at Garrison, Colorado, to speak at the library fund-raising benefit. He is a best selling author with a tragic past. For the said event, Sadie Hoffmiller has made devil’s food cake herself as she wants everything perfect. But no one has forseen the murder of Thom’s manager right on the stage. And he was not supposed to be there either.

When Sadie offers to help, no one takes her seriously and she is told to leave the place in no uncertain terms. But our heroine keeps getting informations from almost everywhere, puts two and two together and knows she has to find out the killer on her own. With her son Shawn, at her side and a weird neighbour joining in, we are in for some hilarious moments and Sadie's arrest takes the cake! She manages to escape and does not give up until she gets into the bottom of it.

With a middle aged food obssessed heroine, this book was very funny to read despite the seriousness of the crime. Almost everyone seems to have skeletons in their cupboards and Sadie has to get those all out. I loved reading this breezy mystery book. Also the recipes given at the end of each chapter are a pleasure!

24 comments:

Staci said...

How could that gorgeous cake kill anyone??? Loved that teaser!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Such an interesting teaser--love the cover too.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

That teaser was funny! Here us mine

fredamans said...

I love murder mysteries!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/03/teaser_15.html

CeeCee said...

Sounds like my kind of book!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Wow, this sounds so great! I love murder mysteries, especially when they include cake! I'll have to find this book.

Emidy
from Une Parole

P.S. I'm your newest follower! I'm glad I found your blog.

Andrea said...

Uh oh. Great cover though and nice teaser.

Alayne said...

Interesting teaser from a book with that cover! Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

Marce said...

Love the cover and concept of story with recipes too.

My teaser

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/03/teaser-tuesday-splendor-falls.html

Zia said...

Man that cover looks yummy! I am curious how a book with a cake on the cover, leads to a dead man at a podium. Great teaser.

Darlyn said...

a cake and a murder case? wow...

here's mine;

http://darlynandbooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/teaser-tuesdays.html

happy teusday!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, dear, chocolate cake that kills?

Here's mine:

http://rainysnowday.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/teaser-tuesdays-4/

Carrie K. said...

Sounds like a fun mystery!

JoAnn said...

Oh, this looks like a good mystery - love that cake!

pussreboots said...

Oh dear. Dead man lecturing. Thanks for stopping by my teaser.

Irene said...

Wow, this is more than a teaser. Here

Miss Angie said...

Wow! I'm curious!

My Teaser: He's Just Not That Into You

Unknown said...

Recipes and murder - my favorite combination :)

Lori said...

It wasn't my cooking, I swear. I hope that you enjoy your book. Here's mine.

Laya said...

Uh-oh. Dead? Food + mystery = great teaser!

Thanks for dropping by mine! :)

Susan said...

murder mysteries are the best! this would be a great read!

Mishel said...

Love the sound of this one!!

Novroz said...

Whoaa very intriguing...I like your teaser

Framed said...

I've read the first two in this series, loved the first and the second not so much. But they are so hard to resist with names like Devil's Food Cake. Plus I like that the heroine is middle-aged. She is a fun character.