Monday, March 1, 2010

Crime Fiction Alphabet: They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie

Title: They Came to Baghdad
Author: Agatha Christie
Publisher: Collins Crime Club/1951
Pages: 256

"A white camel loaded with oats is coming over the pass." This is a code for a meeting of some people in Baghdad for a secret weapon. And everyone seems to want that weapon.

This is a very different novel by Agatha Christie, one that does not have Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple. It is more in the lines of international conspiracy and the conspirator is a secret till the end. A book with a nail biting finish. We see the Baghdad of those times, lots of archaeological digging and also the ruins of Babylon. I read it a long time and need to brush it up again. After I re-read it, I will post a detailed review.

BTW, I own the very same cover I posted here.

5 comments:

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I've never heard of this Agatha Christie Book. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I remember really liking this one...there is a whole series of her books in this style. I think they are called the Minotaur series or something like that.

Some others you might like are:

The Man in the Brown Suit and
Destination Unknown

These books are similar in theme :)

Mystica said...

I discovered this book - really old copy in my second hand bookshop and it was as you say different.

Marce said...

Oh wow, I look forward to your thoughts on this one.

BTW I think you will enjoy my current read as you enjoy poetry and the author is a poet. I will let you know my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I love Agatha Christie, but I don't think I've read this one.