Monday, January 12, 2009

Musing about course books

musingmondays3_blank1

How did you react to assigned reading when you were in school/university/college/etc? How do you think on these books now? What book were you 'forced' to read when you where in school that you've since reread and loved?

In my senior secondary English, I had to read Far From the Madding Crowd, Great Expectations, The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Wuthering Heights, The Merchant of Venice, Hamlet amongst others. Frankly I found those very interesting.

Except for The Barretts of Wimpole Street, I had read all, Soi in a way, those were rereads in my senior secondary/college. No way, I found those books daunting. In college, I had to study Arthur Miller's All my Sons. Come to think of it, I hated it. However after a long time I read The Crucible and Death of a Salesman, which brought me back to All My Sons. I appreciated it then.


Wuthering Heights still remains of my all time favourite books. I liked the character of Heathcliff. He is one of the best anti-heroes of all times.

0 comments: