Thursday, January 29, 2009

Booking through electronic vs paper



Do you have an ebook reader? Do you read ebooks on your computer? Do you hate the very thought? How do you feel about the fact that book publishing is changing and facing much the same existential dilemma as the music industry upon the creation of MP3s?

As most know, I live in India. ebook reader has not come here as yet as for as I know. But for the simple fact that it is unaffordable right now. I do have many ebooks on my PC but I have not read any of them as yet. I like the paper version as I can hold it, smell it, hug it or chuck it out if I wish to. I do read short stories online but reading longer versions scares me off completely. Maybe it is just me. I might come to love the ebook if I get hold of a sony reader or such like. Don't I love getting emails? We hardly ever get any real paper letters.

However, now that seems far fetched. So let me be old fashioned, holding on to paper as much as I can.

And we must give it some thought that the world is not just the US, or UK. It is much much beyond that, where paper books will exist for a long time to come. Very frankly, I would prefer children to read real books rather than ebooks.

0 comments: