Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday Find: Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Synopsis:

Set in Vietnam in 1969 over the course of three months, It is the timeless story of a young Marine lieutenant, Waino Mellas, and his comrades in Bravo Company, who are dropped into the mountain jungle of Vietnam as boys and forced to fight their way into manhood. Standing in their way are not merely the North Vietnamese but also monsoon rain and mud, leeches and tigers, disease and malnutrition. Almost as daunting, it turns out, are the obstacles they discover between each other: racial tension, competing ambitions, and duplicitous superior officers. But when the company finds itself surrounded and outnumbered by a massive enemy regiment, the Marines are thrust into the raw and all-consuming terror of combat. The experience will change them forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I have read only one book till date on the Vietnam war, I would like to read this book.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks great. I hope you enjoy it. Here are my Friday Finds

http://bookventuresbookclub.blogspot.com/2010/03/friday-finds.html

Cat said...

I haven;t read much on The Vietnam War either....I tend to avoid war stories ....but this does sound interesting.

Veens said...

I have not read any book till date on the Vietnam War :(

Serena said...

This is actually a reissue of an older book, but I haven't read this one either. I would love to get my hands on a copy of this for the Vietnam War challenge.

Kaye said...

Anyone who fought in the Vietnam was was definitely changed forever. Families who lost family members were also changed forever and for what? Such a waste!

bermudaonion said...

This book sounds so powerful.

Alayne said...

Great pick, this one sounds so good.

My Friday Find is at The Crowded Leaf. I'm also seeing if anyone would be intersted in an Alice Hoffman challenge!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This one is on my wish list; it sounds excellent. great pick

Bookfool said...

Matterhorn is on my wish list, too. I'm reading The Lotus Eaters, right now. It's a good Vietnam book, but so far my favorite is The Things They Carried.

Darlene said...

Good pick! I've been looking at this one too.