Sunday, October 26, 2008

Booth's Sister by Jane Singer


What led you to pick up this book?

Deb Smith of Bell Bridge books contacted me and then sent me an ARC of the book to read and review.

Plot summary:

This is about Asia Booth Clark, who is the sister of John Wilkes Booth, who killed Abraham Lincoln. She was 30 years old and pregnant when Union soldiers and Federal detectives stormed her home in Maryland in search of Johnny. Although he was not found at her place but she had to bear the brunt and carry the legacy of shame for a long time.

The Booth family was one of the acclaimed acting families of America. Johnny's deed placed them all under suspicion. He was captured and killed but that in no way took away the shame.

In Asia Booth Clark's words:

"My brother killed Abraham Lincoln. That is my weight, my shame. While he remained at large, I was held captive in my home. I should have told the soldiers who came with guns drawn and bayonets at the ready this true thing: I might have stopped him, for I harbored him and kept his secrets. I was a pie safe locked tight and guilty as he."


What did you like most about the book?

I liked the relationship bettween Asia and her brother Johnny. They grew up together. Asia adores her brother but does not understand his radical views and his deeds. That is the anguish of a loving sister who is torn between her brother and her country.


What did you think of the writing style?

Jane Singer based it from the personal memoirs of Asia Booth. She has skillfully woven facts with a bit of fiction to make it interesting. The historic aspect of it comes across. Jane's writing is good. She has researched it well. Lincoln's assassination is a big part of history of America. This book manages to catch that anguish of the nation.

0 comments: