Monday, September 28, 2009

Mondays: Musings/Mailbox/whereabouts

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Do you keep a book wishlist, either on paper, Amazon/etc, or via a book database site (Shelfari, GoodReads, LibraryThing)? If yes, do you share this list with others (especially coming up to Christmas)?


I jot down my wishlist in my journal, which I carry everywhere. That way if I go to bookstore I can check what I truly wish to buy. I have not tried to keep a wish list in Amazon, Shelfari, Goodreads etc etc. Frankly I never thought of it. Maybe now is the right time to start one. Maybe if my friends see my wishlist, I might get books as gifts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 3 books:

1) Night of Flames by Douglas Jacobson

Painting a vivid and terrifying picture of war-torn Europe during World War II, this tale chronicles the lives of Anna, a Krakow University professor, and her husband Jan, a Polish cavalryman. After they are separated and forced to flee occupied Poland, Anna soon finds herself caught up in the Belgian Resistance, while Jan becomes embedded in British Intelligence efforts to contact the Resistance in Poland. He soon realises that he must seize this opportunity to search for his lost wife, Anna.

2) The Sister Pact by Cami Checkett

After a tragic fall leaves her sister in a coma, Savannah becomes the prime suspect in the investigation. Desperately hoping to prove her innocence, she convinces detective Noah Shumway to stay by her side at all times. But the close quarters prove too much for them to handle. Can Savannah find the proof she needs to show Noah she s not a monster? And how can she rely on her faith and keep her family safe when it seems all hope is lost?

3) Defenders of the Scroll by Shiraz

When Alex "the Axeman" Logan is pulled from his world to help young princess Dara save her kingdom from the Shadow Lord, he thinks there has been a mistake. He's a teen guitar player close to failing 11th grade, not some defender of the realm. All he has are some school books, his wits, and his love of fantasy movies. Overnight his life is history. Alex must confront the Shadow Lord and his minions when he is thrust into a land that has changed from a magical paradise to a barren, hopeless, helpless realm invaded by a dark army. But Alex is not alone. He has the help of Dara, a magic scroll, and a band of unlikely companions drawn from his own history books: a hardened Roman Legionnaire, a swift Japanese Samurai, a mighty African Warrior, a fiery Amazon Archer, and a spirited Shaolin Monk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I read the following:

A House of Bottles by Robin Merrill (poetry)
The Locked Room: The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

The Sister Pact by Cami Checkett
The Crab with the Golden Claws

The Shooting Star
The Secret of the Unicorn
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed by Marc Blatte
A Note From An Old Acquaintance

I am currently reading:

The Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
City of Glass by Paul Auster

Plan to read:

More Tintins
And whatever takes my fancy!

Posted reviews of:

Someone Else's Daughter by Elizabeth Brundage
Tintin: Cigars of the Pharaoh by Herge
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed by Marc Blatte
A Note From An Old Acquaintance
Ghosts: The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster


35 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I ahve an AMazon wish list, and a handwritten list in a journal that stays in my purse, for the same reason you mentioned.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ha. I keep a wishlist in Excel. It's over 1800 books long, and I am behind in adding to it.

Scary, I know. And no, I don't expect to read them all. I figure it's karma at this point. I'll read the books I'm meant to.

Literary Feline said...

I have two different formal wish lists right now, but I hope to soon consolidate. What I'd really like to do is keep better track of where I hear 1st hear about books that make my wish list.

Enjoy your new books and this week's reading, Gautami!

Melody said...

I jot down on my journal too.

bermudaonion said...

The Night of Flames is supposed to be really good - I hope you enjoy it.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I don't have a wishlist. You got some good reads. Here is min

Alaine said...

I loved Cleopatra's Daughter. Hope you have a great reading week and get lots done!

Debbie's World of Books said...

I wish I could remember to carry a journal around. I usually end up writing titles on whatever scraps of paper I have in my purse when I go to the bookstore.

caite said...

I tried Amazon for my wishlist, I tried a file on my computer..it never worked.
I have started using Library Thing for my wishlist...one advantage is that anyone I know who might want to buy me a gift, say a book, can access it.

Booklogged said...

I keep a wishlist on amazon.com but only my immediate family knows about it. I did get some books last year for Christmas. I also have a TBR list in Excel.

Jennifer said...

What a fun week of reading you had! I Have Cleopatra's Daughter on my TBR pile. Happy reading. My list is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-are-you-reading-monday_28.html

DCMetroreader said...

I have a wishlist on Amazon, but its mainly for non-book items. I'm pretty stocked up on reading materials for the moment.

Enjoy your books!

Here is my Monday post http://metroreader.blogspot.com/2009/09/mailbox-monday-september-28th.html

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I enjoyed Cleopatra's Daughter.

Kaye said...

I keep a list in Microsoft works and it is getting so long. I got Night of Flames too. Dual purpose ~ for a tour and WWII challenge. Have a great week and happy reading.

Blodeuedd said...

Great post, lots of books there and some fun ones in your mailbox. Happy reading

BurtonReview said...

I have an Amazon wishlist but it hasn't been updated in awhile. If I do recieve a book though that I know is on there, I do try and mark them as received, just in case my hubby gets adventurous and wants to buy me a book =)
I also use goodreads, but again, it's hard to keep track of once you start accumulating books and seeing even more books that you want... You are very well that you have a journal for those titles of specific importance! Good job!
Thanks for visiting my Mega-Mailbox today =) It was definitely a great box for me.
You got a lot done this week, congrats!!

Unknown said...

My oh my, do you read a lot?! I wish I could do that but I have sometimes months when my total for a month is almost what your total for a week is.

Unknown said...

I write my books down in a notebook too. When I go to the bookstore I write down the books I want and then I cross them off after I read them. Sometimes I get them from the library, other times I buy them. I'm so old fashioned that way (with writing them down instead of keeping them on the computer. Wish I could be more like Susan who keeps them in Excel.

Unknown said...

How are you finding Paul Auster's book? I'm curious about his writing. I have a book from him on my TBR but haven't managed to pick it up yet. Happy Reading.

Kristen said...

I have an amazon wish list (appallingly long) but it doesn't seem to have meant more book type gifts from family. Sometimes I think they don't even glance at it. But that's okay. I use it when I'm buying for myself.

Unknown said...

Seems like everyone is reading Cleopatra's daughter now a days. :D

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I do keep a Wish List, however it is growing so large it's more of a Fantasy List than just a wish!LOL

You got some great books last week! Enjoy them all!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your books. I've taken to keeping a small portion of my wishlist in my bag. You never know when you'll find a sale. I do share my wishlist with my family, and sometimes they even buy me books.

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Oh, I've just realised I need another notebook -- I SHOULD have one for my wishlist, and then I have my Friday Finds, and...this could get filled up quite quickly.

My wishlist on the net, aren't really very good for shopping with are they? LOL

Sassy
:)

Elena said...

Defenders of the Scroll looks really good (have it but haven't read it yet) and Cleopatra's Daughter is definitely a good story.

I do keep an amazon wishlist, but nobody knows about it. Maybe if they did, I'd get more books.

Book Dragon said...

wish list: Yes, unfortunately there are several so I need to consolidate. I'm finding so many from bloggers that I'd like to make not of where when I add it to my wish list.

No one really sees my lists but everyone knows books make a great gift for me.

I do best if I shop with a list.


Mailbox: The Sister Pact by Cami Checkett sounds really good, I wonder if I've added it to my wish list?

I have Defenders of the Scroll too. I look forward to your review.

Reading: WOW! You've read a lot. and reviews? that's where I get bogged down.

thanks so much for commenting on my What are you Reading?

Wendi said...

You got some great sounding books last week. Defenders of the Scroll would be an interesting read. I don't read fantasy very often, it sounds like a fun book.

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Anonymous said...

I have and can't wait to read The Sister Pact and Defenders Of The Scroll!

The rest of your books look very interesting, especially Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing lots of positive things about Cami Checkett's book.

Alice said...

Interesting books! I particularly like "Defenders of the Scroll" :)

Leslie said...

man you read a lot of books this week! :D happy reading!

Bryan R. Terry said...

My Musing Post is HERE

Yvonne said...

I have one of those small notebooks that I carry in my purse. I don't keep my wishlist online since I'm the only one who buys books for me and I want to make sure I don't get any duplicates.

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy Night of Flames! I read that and I thought it was awesome. I also have Defenders of the Scroll and am about to dive into that one soon.

Toni said...

Thank you for stopping by my mailbox. I think you got three great books and it looks like you had a busy reading week also. Take Care.