Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mondays: Musings/Mailbox/whereabouts

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Now that we’ve come to the middle of the year, what do you think of your 2009 reading so far? Read anything interesting that you’d like to share? Any outstanding favourites?

There are some books I read in those six months that standout for me. I list those here. Click on the title to read my reviews:

The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway**
The Suicide Collecters by David Oppegaard*
I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb**
My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar**
Mainline to the Heart and Other Poems by Clive Matson (Poetry)*
Sputnik Sweatheart by Haruki Murakami*
A Climb Through Altered Lanscaped by Ian Parks (Poetry)*
Breathing Out the Ghost by Kirk Curnutt**
The Horseman's Graves by Jacqueline Baker*
Random Acts of Heroic Love by David Schienmann**
Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji**
The Crying Tree by Naseem Rakha*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

Received only one book this past week:

The Wolves' Keeper Legend by Sylvia Weber

".... From the beginning of time, it seemed that rivalry between man and wolf was at the root of man's dislike for the animal, discovered only too well by Sealgair. Was his fate forever to be condemned to isolation, to see terror and hate in the eyes of the once he once loved? All he could see in his mind was the last pictures of Awena's beloved face, which he carried in his heart for all his life.

Was the only way out to discover the special secret held by the papyrus-pearls in the stone pot - what secrets could this hold? And which stone pot could keep that precious secret when there were so many of them?

Seanns' quest to find the pearls and uncover the secret ended with tragic consequences, resulting in him not only discovering the truth of his birth and who his real mother and father were, but the realisation that his father lived among the wolves..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I finished the following:

Baby Shark by Robert Fate
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

I am in the midst of reading:


Tender Graces by Kathryn Magendie
Blasted by Kate Story

I posted reviews of:

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
A World I Never Made by James Lepore
The Crying Tree by Naseem Rakha
Baby Shark by Robert Fate
The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson


25 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I have a couple of your favorites in my TBR pile, now I want to move them up a few places.

Anonymous said...

I read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and it was really good. Enjoy!

Sandra said...

I'm with you on The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway, and My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar. I have Rooftops, Suicide Collectors, and Wally Lamb on my tbr list so I'm glad to hear you liked them that much. Thanks for commenting on New Crayons and linking to it. It takes a while for a new weekly feature to catch on and this is such a good one.
I loved Bel Canto and I like the sound of The Crying Tree. I'll look for your review of it. Have a good reading week.

Teddyree said...

I have some of your fave's on my bookshelf waiting...waiting.
Interesting book in your mailbox, I'm off to check out some of your reviews. Have a great reading week!

Yvonne said...

Sounds like you had some good reading for the first half of the year. Hope the second half is just as good :)

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I know this much is True was a memorable read for me! I liked it.

Have a great week!

Kristen said...

I'm glad to see you rated The Crying Tree so highly. I have it sitting here to read.

Kerri said...

I'm looking forward to reading the Girl Who Stopped Swimming. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I recognize some of the books from my TBR pile and TBR list, but sadly I haven't read any of those! I've read other Murakami's books though and loved them every time!

BurtonReview said...

You've got a list there htat I need to research, as I've never read any of them!

kayerj said...

I haven't heard of any of them, but they are all intriguing titles. I like the quote in your header.

my Monday musings

Anonymous said...

I read Kathryn Magendie's book and it was fantastic! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Interesting. Here is mine. Monday Morning Update

Unknown said...

I also enjoyed The Suicide Collecters by David Oppegaard and Breathing Out the Ghost by Kirk Curnutt.

The Wolf Keepers book looks good.

Cindy said...

Hope you enjoy you books. Happy reading ♥

My monday reading is here

Nise' said...

I agree with about Wally Lamb's book. Have not read any of the others.

I just got Bel Canto.

Robin M said...

Thanks to you I have The Cellist of Sarajevo on my wishlist. I'm going to check into Breathing out the ghost. Sounds intriguing. My MM is up now

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Great list! I have read some great things about The Cellist of Sarajevo, I'll have to add it to my WL.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read The Cellist Of Sarajevo and I Know This Much Is True for some time now. Just never gotten down to it.

I love the name, Sputnik Sweetheart, and will try picking that up soon. Done two Murakami's so far this year, so... taking a little break.

Bonnie said...

I Know This Much Is True is one of my favorites as well. I have a few others in my TBR pile and look forward to readging them.

Katrina said...

Your favs have very interesting titles, I am going to have to check out the reviews of them.

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

The Wolves' Keeper Legend by Sylvia Weber looks fantastic! I am also curious about The Crying Tree now.

Sorry I didn't comment earlier, but I've caught a nasty cold and didn't come online much yesterday!

Take care,

Sassy
:)

Alice said...

I've got I Know This Much Is True in my TBR. Enjoy your books and happy reading, Gautami!

Toni said...

Hi there.. Nice book you received. I Know this Much is True is an unforgettable book and one of the few books that I would want to really read again. Great post.

Marie Cloutier said...

lots of great stuff there!