Saturday, June 27, 2009

The World I Never Made by James Lepore

Title: The World I Never Made
Author: James Lepore
ISBN: 978098608723
Publisher: The Story Plant/2009
Pages: 262

Pat Nolan arrives in Paris to identify the body of his estranged daughter, Megan. They have had a love-hate realtionship. However, when Pat looks at the body, he knows it is not Megan's. However, he doesn't let the Paris police know and gets the body cremated as soon as possible. Pat somehow senses that by faking her death, Megan is reaching out to him, asking for his help. He has to find her. Meanwhile, there are people who suspect that Megan is very much alive and only way to get to her is by following Pat. Abdel Lahani, a powerful Saudi businessman settled in Morocco has his own reasons to find her. Megan and he had a torrid affair and he is not prepared to let go.

Catherine Laurence, a Paris detective takes a long needed leave from her work and joins Pat Nolan on his quest for his daughter. Nolan and Laurence journey through France, Morocco and Czech Rebuplic with the French Police and a band of International Terrorists behind them. This proximity leads them to find love with each other. Both have demons to kill yet both their souls merge.

A World I Never Made is relatable in the present context of terrorism. The back and forth movement of the novel helps it understanding better. Pat and Catherine are moving in the present but Megan's story moves from the past. Both threads do not interfere with each other and only converge when it needs to be, not before. It also depicts fanatics at their best, with no rhyme or reason. It is an unputdownable novel.

Yet I found a few loose ends. When Megan and Pat do meet, they separate just as soon. It was kind of a let down. Catherine's relationship with her husband is mentioned but no reason is given why she hated him so much. And why she feels guilty now that he is dead. Terrorism is main theme of the novel. And it could have been covered in a bit more detail.

However, one does find redeeming features where there are people who take care of Megan, no matter what, hiding her and also giving their own lives for her. Megan is not really with the terrorists but she is researching about it. For those very reason, I can say it is a very readable book. Thanks James, for the signed copy!

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like there's a lot in that book even with the loose ends. It sounds like a page turner!

serendipity_viv said...

This has been on my TBR list a couple of times this week. I kept seeing it and writing it down, then realising I already had it.

Literary Feline said...

I read this one earlier in the month and really liked it. I hadn't given any notice to the loose ends you mention when I read it, but I can see what you mean. It was sad that Megan was taken from Pat so quickly after they had just found each other again. Perhaps because of all they had gone through and the realizations they came through while they were separated was enough for me. I am glad you enjoyed it overall!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I'm very intrigued by this book and i think I'd like it. Good review!

Beth F said...

I'll be reviewing this on Tuesday. NIce job.

Yvonne said...

Sounds good! Excellent review!

Clare Dudman said...

Well, sounds like an exciting read - a good choice for the summer perhaps because it sounds quite light too. It's a shame about the loose ends, but they don't sound too drastic - and sometimes it's quite good to have a bit of space to let your imagination flow.

Kim said...

Sounds like a very interesting book but sad book. Thanks for the great review. Regarding your comments on my blog about your summer--I am so sorry things have been so miserable. I can understand power shortages but I didn't know you had water shortages too! I hope things cool down soon for you--I wouldn't enjoy that kind of heat either.
*smiles*
Kim

Amanda said...

Certainly does sound like a page turner. Happy reading!

Becca said...

Is it a major plot discovery that Megan is not a terrorist? Seems like that gives too much away?

It does sound like an intriguing read.

Heidenkind said...

Interesting. Sounds like something along the lines of the The Bourne Identity, but not as good.

JoAnn said...

This sounds like a page turner (even with the looses ends) - great review!

JM said...

Sounds interesting, even though it's not in the realm of books I usually read. I'll have to check it out if there are copies to be found here in Australia.