Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

"I haven't said a word to the bastard since the night I turned thirteen. I was strapped to the bed. It was my birthday present to myself." 

~Page 646, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Title: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Author: Stieg Larsson
ISBN: 9781849162753
Publisher: Quercus/2009
Pages: 743

The last of the millennium trilogy seemed very long to me. Maybe because I am going through a reading slump. I really wanted to know so much more about Lisbeth Salander yet my reading was pretty slow. This has more narration than action. And tries to tie all the loose ends about Salander.

Starting from where The Girl Who Played With Fire left off, it makes the reader yearn to save her life and protect Salander. She is seriously injured and is in the hospital with no visitors allowed. And she is also accused of couple of murders. In this novel, we learn how much wrong has been done to her since she was 12 years old, a mere girl. All this to save her father from being exposed and along with him, the nexus of certain government officials of Sweden. 

Blomkvist along with well wishers of Salander is determined to save her from this nexus. We get to meet Dr. Teleborian, the evil doctor who is instrumental in locking up Salander.

Despite her isolation, and along with the help of her friends, we find Salander again in her elements. This novel has political undertones and of course the courtroom scene is such that one can't waver from it till the end.

I will say this again that Larsson has created memorable character in Lisbeth Salander and not only her, his depiction of the evil characters is also very good. I say Lisbeth Salander is not going to die in the mind of the readers for a very long time to come. 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been one of my favourite series.
Hope you get out of your reading slump soon :)

Karen and Gerard said...

Gerard started reading this but didn't like it and gave up on it.

Here's our TT: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-tuesday-hard-cache-confession.html

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic!! Heard lotsa great thing bout this series. =)cool teaser..

Mine is HERE

Marg said...

The first part of this book was slow because so much of it was in the hospital, but it did pick up for me.

Lisbeth is one of the most unique characters around!

My teaser is from Mr Rosenblum's List this week.

Belinda said...

I've heard of this book and this is an interesting teaser. Kind of strange birthday present:)

You can find my teaser at The Bookish Snob

Gigi Ann said...

Sad to say, I must be the only person who has never heard of this series, but, that could be because it is not my genre of reading. I'm glad you enjoyed the series, and I hope you are coming out of your reading slump by now.

Alayne said...

Haven't read these either yet! Thanks for visiting my teaser.

fredamans said...

So want to read this book!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-time_08.html

Tea said...

Love that Teaser. I have to read the first one, The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. Can't wait. Loaned it to my son. He says it's almost finished.

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-tuesdays-little-bee-by-chris.html

Julia said...

This was my favorite of the three books, it felt like Larsson finally hit his stride. Shame there will be no more :(

CMash said...

That sure sounds like an awful bday gift to oneself. Interesting teaser.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

I still haven't read the first book yet so it'll be while before I get to this one. It sounds tough.

Novroz said...

I really want to read this series but still haven't gotten the change yet.

Unknown said...

I think I can guess who said this! Great teaser!

I hope your reading slump is improving! I abhor reading slumps but they are part of being a book lover it seems.

Hang in there :o)
~ Amy

Unknown said...

I just bought the book myself and looking forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Hope to read all (3) of this series next month when I am off from work...enjoy

Jaime said...

I really enjoyed this trilogy, though it took me a while to get through them because I'm a slow readers. Here's hoping your reading slump spikes up soon.

Deepali said...

I saw someone else on a flight today reading this book on her Kindle :D

Hope you like this book too - i loved reading about Lisbeth and her ability to keep going when the road is bumpy.

Julie said...

OK .. love the teaser! REALLY makes me want to crack open the last two books .. can't, though .. drat! I'm just going to have to read faster so I can get to them!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Unknown said...

Arrived here via http://cymlowell.blogspot.com/

Despite the hype of these books, not to mention the movies, I haven't felt overly compelled to read them. I may have to change my mind in the new year, though. Nice review.

Cherry said...

I came from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party Wednesday.

I've seen a lot of publicity about this series around but I never picked it up because this is not my genre. And secondly my TBR pile is just horrendously big... anyway, I think I'll watch the movie version now that they're getting it to the big screen. Hopefully it'll be as good as the book :)

Cherry Mischievous
www.cherrymischievous.com

Elizabeth said...

Stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Party Review.

Stop by my blog if you like.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Veens said...

Can't wait to buy this book for myself.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I read the whole first book, saw the movie, half of the second book, saw the movie, should I just see the movie on this one and skip the book?
I'm stopping by from the Saturday Book Review Tour.
-Anne
http:headfullofbooks.blogspot.com