Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

wordyweds

Wondrous Word Wednesday is hosted by Kathy of BermudaOnion

The first two words are from The Sister Pact by Cami Checketts

1) Conniption (page 4): Her husband would have a conniption fit----a justified conniption fit.

n. Informal

A fit of violent emotion, such as anger or panic. Also called conniption fit.

2) Putz (Page 101): "But if you're into the sellout, smooth-talking, rich putz don't think that I give a crap."

n.
  1. Slang. A fool; an idiot
intr.v. Slang, putzed, putz·ing, putz·es.

To behave in an idle manner; putter.

The third word is from a poetry book, A House of Bottles by Robin Merrill

3) Reveille (Page 2): I didn't recognise myself that morning,
Waking up to in Africa, to a reveille
requesting prayer.

n.
    1. The sounding of a bugle early in the morning to awaken and summon people in a camp or garrison.
    2. This bugle call or its equivalent.
    3. The first military formation of the day.
  1. A signal to get up out of bed.

13 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Putz is also slang for the male member, so to speak, so it's not a word you would necessary want to throw around! :--)

Unknown said...

Other info about putz - it comes from Yiddish :)

Here are my words

Care said...

I was told many times as a kid not to have a conniption fit!

bermudaonion said...

My dad was in the military so I knew what reveille is! Great words. Thanks for participating!

Lisa notes... said...

I've been warned about those conniption fits too. And seen a few around. Great list.

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

Great words this week. Conniption fit brought back some old memories. No one seems to say that any more.

Jo-Jo said...

I remember reveille from when I read a Civil War book. I think I posted it's definition in a Wondrous Words post also. Great words this week.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I think I've had a few of those conniption fits! And I putz around the house a lot! Great words!

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

I never heard of Putz, I like that word. Putz, Putz, Putz, it just just rolls off the tongue.

Now, where's my husband?

wicked laugh...

Unknown said...

putz is a great word! lol love it!

The Book Resort said...

I've heard the yiddish use a lot for putz & my gramps was Irish!

Cami Checketts said...

I didn't know the slang definition of putz. I'll have to be more careful with that one!

Matt said...

Love the sound of conniption, such a neat word!