Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Reviewing and rating

I take Weekly Geeks option 3:


* Do you find that the anticipation of reviewing the book has changed your reading experience?

Yes. It has. I read with more concentration and observe the smallest of detailings. I like to keep those in mind while reviewing.

* Are you rating the book even as you read? Or do you wait until the end to sum it all up?

Sometimes I rate the book as I read it. And I might change it after I finish it. Because the ending might be completely different from what I had imagineed it to be. However, I seldom rate those on my reviews.

* Does knowing you'll be reviewing it (or rating it) publicly affect which books you pick up in the first place?

Not really. I pick and choose at my will. And reviewing it only a part of it. But I do avoid spoilers in my reviews

* Does the process of writing the review itself change how you felt about the book?

Not much. I write what I feel about the book. I mostly remain objective. If writing negative reviews, I state why I didn't like it.

* What is your motivation to assign a rating to a book and declare it to the world?

I don't rate a book unless it very good or really bad!

* If you review a book but don't rate, why not? What do you feel is your role as reviewer?

Rating according to me is over-rated. I don't think one can rate any book objectively. How does one decide that?

9 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I agree it is very hard to rate books!

Louise said...

I will have to check out WG this week. And I agree. It is hard to rate books, and sometimes I feel like I am just too tough a customer to EVER be impressed...

Kristen M. said...

I also don't rate books. It's just too random.

bermudaonion said...

I think I read books with more focus now too.

Staci said...

I write reviews based on how I feel too. I don't want to go into too much detail because I never want to spoil anyone else's reading!!

Ceri said...

I like your answers, Gautami. Short, sharp and straight to the point. :-D

Jodie said...

I don't think I understand rating properly, so many people do it but I find it hard to see what set criteria you'd base it on.

jlshall said...

Good post! I agree completely - rating is over-rated.

Erotic Horizon said...

I quite like your answers - If I rated I think i would be doing something like that..

Hope you have a good reading week..

E.H>