Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tintin in America by Hergé

Title: Tin in America
Author: Hergé
ISBN: ISBN 1-4052-0614-4
Publisher: Methuen/1978
Pages: 62
Series: The Adventures of Tin
Genre: Graphic Novels

It was first published in 1931 in French and translated into English in 1962. Being third in the series of Tintin comics, it shows the 1930s America with gangsters and all. The streets of Chicago are ruled by gangsters. The onus lies on our journalist Tintin and his dog Snowy to take care of Al Capone , Mr Smiles and other gangsters, taking him from Chicago to the Wild West where he meets Indians and Cowboys. He is almost lynched, his dog kidnapped but somehow is saved in the nick of the time.

It might be considered racist by some but considering the times (1931), it sure makes sense. The suspense, mystery, action are all there and Tintin fans would love this book, even though it is not one of the best Tintin books. The illustrations do not disappoint and that is what any comic book lover desires irrespective of political statements.

As a die-hard Tintin fan, I am currently re-reading the series and in no particular order. As all books do stand alone. If you haven't read it, then I say, go for it. Start with the later books and come back to it.

8 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've not read Tintin (I think). The cover seems a bit disconcerting, if this is the same book with the gangsters. Help me here: Tintin is from France. Gangsters are everywhere. Tintin fights the gangsters. The cover has an American native.

Hmmmm....

Louise said...

I love Tintin as well, and have read all albums more than once. Probably more than 100 times ;-)

http://louspages.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-passion-for-everything-tintin.html

Debnance, Tintin is not from France, but from Belgium (not that it matter re. your question). The album is called Tintin in America, and he is not only "dealing" with the gangsters of Chicago, but also Native Americans and much more.

Any way, Tintin is great :-)

bermudaonion said...

I think my son has all of the Tintin books and our dog is named Milou after Tintin's dog. I've never thought of reading them - maybe I should give them a try.

J.S. Peyton said...

I love Tintin. I really got into him when I watched the HBO cartoon series, but I've read a few of the books since then. The graphics are just wonderful. I gave away my copy of the only Tintin book I had (I'm pretty sure it was this one), but this makes me want to go out and buy the others. =)

ds said...

When I was a girl (pre-cable), Tintin cartoons were on TV after school; I was addicted! My favorite was "The Secret of Red Rackham's Treasure". I have never read the books, alas. Someday, perhaps...

Bryan R. Terry said...

Have you seen that Steven Spielberg is doing a Tintin Movie? It'll be called The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

It'll be a motion capture computer animated film (like Beowulf or The Polar Express) and stars Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, and Andy Serkis.

You can read more HERE

Masha said...

I'm a Tintin addict - I have most of the books, and grew up reading and re-reading them obsessively.

The early ones, like Tintin in America are a lot more "cartoony" in terms of the story. For example, Tintin will suddenly produce a rope out of nowhere when he needs to tie up a gangster. The later books like "Destination Moon" are a much slicker.

I love this one though. I especially remember that machine for turning cows into tins of meat, and the gangster with the trap door built into the floor so he can dispatch victims easily.

And the poor Indians who get chased off their land when oil is discovered.

Laura said...

I found Tintin books when my oldest son (now 32) was 13 and didn't enjoy reading. When I bought some of the books, my husband was delighted - he had read them as a child, too. All five of my sons have loved Tintin, and each of my daughters has read at least one or two of the Tintin adventures.

Great review!