Sunday, September 13, 2009

TSS: Books I bought today

After a long time, I went book buying. Infact I was itching to do so for a while now. I picked up those used books for a mere pittance (Rs 270 ~$5). Every Sunday there is a book Bazaar in the pavements Daryaganj which is in Old Delhi. I used to frequent that very often, almost once a month but today I went after one year or so.

I list my buys in no particular order, linking those to Amazon. As you can see of those are new authors/recent publications. Frankly I know nothing about those except for a couple or so. And if anyone knows anything, do let me know in the comment section.

1) Lake With No Name by Diane Wei Liang (2003)

2) Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler (2001)

3) Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi (1994)

4) Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (1999)

5) And This Too Shall Pass by E. Lynn Harris (1996)

6) The New York Trilogy (City of Glass, Ghosts, The Locket Room) by Paul Auster (1987)

7) The Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul (2001)

8) Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett (1994)

9) The King's General by Daphne du Maurier (1947)

10) Kiss Me Again, Stranger (Collection of eight short stories) by Daphne du Maurier (1952)

So what do you think of my buys? Which one I ought to read first?


12 comments:

Nan said...

I haven't read any of these books, but I'm impressed with how many you got for about $5! Happy reading!

Beth F said...

I'm so interested in the Liang book. I read her first mystery book and really liked her writing and descriptions more than the mystery part. I didn't realize she at other books. Thanks so much for listin it!

You got some great books. I like Anne Tyler (but I haven't read that one).

I've always wanted to read Stones from The River.

Hummmm. Selfishly, I'd like you to read the Liang so I can decide if I have to buy it too!

Meghan said...

I read Stones from the River in high school. Not many people liked it because it was too deep for us, but I think, based on your penchant for more thoughtful, meaningful books, that you will.

Frances said...

Those DuMaurier short stories keep popping up in the blogosphere. I own them and now I just need to read them.

Congrats on a great shopping haul and happy reading!

serendipity_viv said...

Great haul for such a low price. I haven't read any of them, but I do own the New York Trilogy, which was recommended to me and is one of the 1001 books to read before you die.

Melissa said...

"Stones from the River" is one of my all-time favorite books ... so my vote would be for that one. (Just my .02 on sale, though.)

bermudaonion said...

You got some great buys! The only one of those books I've read is Back When We Were Grownups and I really enjoyed it.

Anni said...

Well, I think, this is The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster
This is the only one I've read from this list, but as I can remember, I didn't like it.
Anyway, happy reading,
and here is my new TSS post

Anni

gautami tripathy said...

Thanks Anni. I mispelled. I have corrected it!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Anne Tyler is guaranteed to be a wonderful read. She never disappoints me.

Carrie K. said...

You've got some great books there! I love Anne Tyler.

Anonymous said...

Out of the books you've listed, I've only read Stones from the River, but I absolutely loved it. It was a graduation gift from a beloved high school teacher, and, while it was challenging at the time, I remember loving it. I haven't re-read it in since then, but I look at it now and then and figure I should...

Amanda (twyls)