Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wait Until Twilight by Sang Pak

"Their heads are way too big, and their arms and legs are all different lengths. Some long, some just stumps with little fingernails stuck in a semicircle. Even their eyes are different sizes, one larger than the other, and their twisted little noses are hardly there."

Title: Wait Until Twilight
Author: Sang Pak
ISBN: 9780061733295
Publisher: Harper Collins/2009
Pages: 229

Samuel is a 16 year old boy who has lost his mother. He lives with his dad in Georgia. His older brother Jim, is in college and has drifted apart from the family after the loss of their mother. He has do a Video shoot for one of his school project. When his friend David takes him to a family for such a shoot, he simply freaks out. There he sees three babies who are triplets and are totally deformed. Their mother thinks they have been divinely conceived and sees nothing wrong with them.

Although Samuel comes out of the house totally revolted but he can't get those monster children out of his mind. They take up all his waking thoughts. Then he meets the older brother of the triplets, who is a danger for the children. Samuel knows he has to save those children. However, he understands that he has his own demons to kill. Because giving in to the dark impulses is easy and overcoming those is the most difficult task.

We slowly see Samuel emerge from a boy to maturity. He constantly misses his mother. And yet knows that he has to make something of his life. His friendship with mixed races, and with people from different cultures is one step towards that goal. Despite his initial revulsion for the deformed children, he somehow comes to accept them as they are and knows he has to save them from their vile older brother Daryl, who wishes them dead at any cost. Samuel also tries to build bridges with his older brother Jim, whom he had missed so much.

The story is told from the point of view of Samuel and is not really a very easy read. But well worth it. Sang Pak's debut novel really works. His handle of the language is good and he can uncannily know the ways the mind of an adolescent works. That too of one, who has lost his mother. It is all about the darkness within us, which we have to face and ultimately overcome. A coming-of-age novel, with a satisfying end. I just couldn't put it down after I started it.

Thanks to the author/publicist for the review copy.

32 comments:

Teddyree said...

Great teaser, definitely an attention grabber. Will check out your review when I've finished the book :-)
Here's my Teaser

Shonda said...

Interesting teaser... makes me want to know more. Good pick! Looking forward to reading your review.

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

Very different - people are they?

Marg said...

It's hard to imagine what or who they are talking about really.

My teaser is here

Susan said...

I am so escited to get this one! I recently won a copy on a blog I follow :) Great teaser this week! My teaser accompanies a giveaway on my blog this week.

Anonymous said...

Interesting teaser, and the premise looks interesting, if difficult. Thank you!

Lisa said...

A very good choice - definitely makes me want to know more about the book.

My teaser is here.

Leslie said...

wow that was a great teaser!!! going to def add it to my tbr list! Gah i hate reading teasers because they end up making my tbr list grow =P

JoAnn said...

This sounds interesting - thanks for the teaser!

kayerj said...

A well written review for a difficult book. sounds like a challenging read. thanks for stopping by.

Zia said...

Wow what a teaser! Certainly grabbed my attention.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I have the guts to read this book, although I've seen so many good reviews. Very good choice of teaser!

Anonymous said...

Great teaser and review, but I'm not sure this one is for me.

Anonymous said...

Good teaser..is it talking about something mystical?
Here is mine:
http://sumanam.wordpress.com/2009/09/02/226/

Jennifer said...

Fantastic teaser! Sounds like a brilliant read!
My Teaser is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/09/tuesday-teaser.html

Krista said...

Great Teaser! I wonder what these things are? Well played!

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Great teaser - I love this book.

Anonymous said...

The teaser just sounded gross/creepy, but your comments make me want to pick the book up. You made it sound really worth reading.

Unknown said...

oh my, that is a great one. I had to read it twice!
Here is mine

Mandy said...

Huh, what a unique premise. I'll have to look into this book.

Pam said...

Totally not my type of book but I keep reading good reviews and good teasers from it. This one is utterly creepy!

jlshall said...

Great teaser! I don't think this is a book I'll be reading, but I really enjoyed the review.

Anonymous said...

great teaser and I'm very curious about this book! I'm going to look into this, I've heard great things about it.

BurtonReview said...

Wow what a story, from the teaser I was thinking 'real' monsters, not poor children. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cecelia said...

Very strange description...at first I assumed they were some sort of fantasy creature... Good teaser! I'm wondering now about the book and the characters.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Unknown said...

Wow. That sure sounds like something. You've got my attention here....

Jacqueline C. said...

This was a great teaser! Nice review too. I'm looking forward to reading my copy even more now.

Melody said...

Great teaser and review!

Nise' said...

Your review and teaser has me wanting to read this book.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Intense teaser! I have to jot this one down; thanks

The Bookworm said...

wow great teaser.
I dont know if i'd read this one, it sounds so sad.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Ann-Kat (Today, I Read...) said...

This one is on my TBR shelf and each time I go to pick it up, I put it back down saying "I'm not ready yet." (I like building anticipation.)

But I love the teaser you gave and because of your review, I'm eager to get this one down and read.