Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Sister Pact by Cami Checketts

Wesley Richins dimmed the lights, inching to a stop across the street from his target's two story house. The Hummer was loud. To loud. He cut the motor and peered out of his windshield.

Title: The Sister Pact
Author: Cami Checketts
ISBN: 9781599552675
Publisher: Bonneville Books/2009
Pages: 229

Allison Mendez goes into coma from a fall. She had been talking to her sister Savannah Compton, some minutes prior to that when the doorbell rings. When Savannah does not get the callback as Allison had promised, she goes to her place and finds her sister on the floor and calls 911. Someone already had placed that call but had not left a name or cut off the phone.

A detective Noah Shumway arrives on the scene and finds himself suspecting Savannah for Allison's state. He makes it a point to watch her 24 hours a day and moves into Allison's house where Savannah, her father Frank and Allison's toddler son Josh are staying. Allison doesn't come out of the coma and after some tests it is discovered that someone is injecting drugs so that she doesn't come out of it sooner. Again Savannah is a prime suspect for spending alone time with her comatose sister.

Savannah has a past and no witnesses and doesn't know how to save herself. She knows that someone is involved but has no way of knowing who. Meanwhile Wesley Richins hires her as his trainer. He is handsome to boot and is the son of a senator. He is attracted to her and can go to any length to get her. Even though she is a suspect in his mind, Noah too is attracted towards Savannah.

Savannah and Allison share a deep bond. They have made a pact that each would always be there for the other. Savannah too knows that she has to find the culprit or her family is in danger. The police or Savannah and her family may not be aware of it, but for the reader, the mystery element is not there as we know right from the beginning who is responsible for Allison's state.

It is an easy read with no much complications and I finished it at one go. I won't call it a masterpiece but it sure is a feel good read. It speaks about family support in times of crisis. When one is in the light reading mood this book works. I did like the writing style. For Christian fiction reader, this book will work very well as it speaks of hope and faith in all situations.

30 comments:

Staci said...

I enjoy good easy reads....very satisfying!!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

This sounds good. Here is mine

JJ said...

My TT: http://gahome2mom.blogspot.com/2009/09/teaser-tuesdays-guardian-of-flame-by-t.html

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Also, this book and teaser sound real good too. ;)

Thanks again.

Book Bird Dog said...

I enjoyed reading your Teaser Tuesday review. Sounds like a good book. Here's my tease:
Teaser Tuesday: The Texicans

Anonymous said...

Sounds very intense. Nice teaser!

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

I like the sounds of this one.

Zia said...

This sounds like a great read!

Anonymous said...

I love books about family relationships with a bit of a mystery thrown in. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds like a wonderful story. I'm definitely interested.

kayerj said...

that sounds like a nice book to read. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

Cecelia said...

Wow - the 'target's' house? Menacing! Great teaser.

Here's mine.

jlshall said...

I like a nice light read every now and then. This one does sound interesting.

BurtonReview said...

finished it at one go? Way to Go ;)
That's fun to do .. I think I've come CLOSE to doing that only twice in the last year.

DelGal Reviews said...

sounds like a good read. :)
Happy tuesday!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for visiting.

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

That cover is really pretty =) I like the sound of the blurb too!

Susan said...

Looks like a really interesting book. I haven't seen it before, but I'm going to look it up now :)

Jennifer said...

Sounds interesting. Mine is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/09/puzzle-king-teaser-tuesdays.html

Andrea said...

Ominous...great teaser.

Nan said...

Whew!

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Nice teaser lines and an interesting write up. Your Kafka quote is a long-time favorite of mine as well.

Malcolm

Pixie said...

This sounds really interesting, I am adding it to my TBR pile.

Thanks

Bryan R. Terry said...

Good teaser.

My Teaser is HERE

Cami Checketts said...

Thanks for the review. I like your synopsis of the book. Much better than the one I wrote for it!
I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Warmest wishes,
Cami

Tea said...

I want to read The Sister Pact. Your teaser is a good one.

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2009/09/triumph-of-deborah-by-eva-etzioni.html

Jenners said...

Sounds very mysterious and makes you want to know more!

Book Dragon said...

I wish you lived closer, I'd love to visit your book shelves for a while!

Thanks for commenting on my post

Alice said...

This one sounds good!

Framed said...

Sometimes it adds to the suspense when you know who the bad guy is but the people in the story don't. I'll have to add this book to my list.

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I reviewed this last week and truly enjoyed it. Cami is a wonderful author and the characters I found to be really likable.