Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mondays: Mailbox/whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 2 books:


The Midnight Charter by David Whitley (ARC)

In the ancient tower of Count Stelli, the city’s greatest astrologer, two children meet, both of whom have been sold into servitude. Mark is an emotional, imaginative boy who is sold by his father to the Count’s grandson in return for medical treatment. The other child, Lily, is reserved and thoughtful; an orphan now owned by the Count. At first, threatened with being thrown out to die on the disease-ridden streets if they displease their masters, Mark and Lily’s only goal is to work and survive. However, as they begin to understand that they can shape their own destinies, they each find their own path — Mark within the system, angling for power and the security it brings; and Lily beyond it, determined to change the city forever. Unbeknownst to them both, however, Mark and Lily are watched by the mysterious ruler of Agora, the Director of Receipts, whose interest in the apparently insignificant pair is more than a passing one.


The Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

After the death of their parents, twins Alexander and Selene and younger brother Ptolemy are in a dangerous position, left to the mercy of their father's greatest rival, Octavian Caesar. However, Caesar does not kill them as expected, but takes the trio to Rome to be paraded as part of his triumphant return and to demonstrate his solidified power. As the twins adapt to life in Rome in the inner circle of Caesar's family, they grow into adulthood ensconced in a web of secrecy, intrigue and constant danger. Told from Selene's perspective, the tale draws readers into the fascinating world of ancient Rome and into the court of Rome's first and most famous emperor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I read the following:

Thornyhold by Mary Stewart

Alvor by Laura Bingham

Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught

I am currently reading:

Nightshade by John Saul

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevesky (only half way through!)

A Song in Stone by Walter Hunt

Reviewed:

Thornyhold by Mary Stewart

Magdalene and the Mermaids by Elizabeth Kate Switaj


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays (BIG)
What is your preferred method of listening to audio books? Where and when do you listen to them?

Frankly I don't listen to audio books. I tried once and didn't enjoy the experience at all.


26 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I got Cleopatra's Daughter too and can't wait to read it!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Cleopatra's Daughter looks really good :D

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Calopatra's daughter is appearing everywhere this week it seems! I'm a little envious, it sounds really good :)

serendipity_viv said...

The Midnight Charter sounds really good and I love the cover.

the story siren said...

both sound really good. I got a copy of Cleopatra's Daughter this week too, I'm really looking forward to reading it. Hope you enjoy them both! Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read Cleopatra's Daughter. And I'm so glad to find someone else who doesn't like audio books. I tried it once and didn't like it at all. The narrator was reading just TOO slow.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I want to read Cleopatra's Daughter.

Audio books put me to sleep?

Here is mine

caite said...

I;m not a fan of the audio boo either. I wish that I were, but I tend to fall asleep too...lol

Melody said...

I don't listen to audio books too.

Staci said...

I don't care for audiobooks either!
Sounds like you've got some great reading going on! I requested Cleopatra's Daughter from my library!

Rebecca said...

Great books. I really like the sound of Cleopatra's Daughter. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Park Avenue Princess said...

I LOVE the cover of "The Midnight Charter" and it sounds awesome! Great list this week! I hope you'll stop by and enter some giveaways!

Feel free to visit my blog anytime you'd like! Thanks again!

Amy (Park-Avenue Princess)

DCMetroreader said...

Nice haul! Enjoy!

I like to listen to audio books in the car, but sometimes if it's really exciting I hate to stop listening when my drive is finished.

Here is my list on this week's small haul http://metroreader.blogspot.com/2009/09/labor-day-mailbox-monday-september-7th.html

Nise' said...

I'm looking forward to reading Cleopatra's Daughter.

Love to listen to audio books while exercising.

Zia said...

I been seeing Cleopatra's Daughter around and it looks fantastic. Happy reading!

Serena said...

Both of those books look great. happy reading

Wendi said...

I also received Cleopatra's Daughter this week!! It sounds great and I can't wait to read it. :)

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Jacqueline C. said...

Looking forward to comparing reviews on Cleopatra's Daughter!

Bryan R. Terry said...

I understand where you are coming from with regards to audiobooks ... it took me some time to get my "ear right" so to speak.

My thoughts on audiobooks are HERE

kayerj said...

I enjoy audio books, my musings

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

The Midnight Charter sounds good. I havent seen this one before

Book Dragon said...

The Midnight Charter looks good. I'll watch for for it.

I tried audio and fell asleep during Harry Potter! I still own several, maybe if I was a commuter...

Thanks for visiting my blog

Anonymous said...

The Midnight Charter looks awesome!!!! I'm going to have to look that up!!! is it like a fantasy book?

I'm still waiting for my copy of Cleopatra's Daughter :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sounds like you have 2 good ones there. I have not read either!

Anna said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Cleopatra's Daughter. Happy reading!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anonymous said...

If I'm traveling and reading is not a good option, I'll listen to podcasts rather than audiobooks, generally.