Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday Finds: Maps for Lost Lovers by Nadeem Aslam

Maps for Lost Lovers by Nadeem Aslam

From Publishers Weekly

In this poignant, lushly written novel, Aslam (Season of the Rainbirds) explores the interwoven lives of Pakistani immigrants in an English town they have rechristened Dasht-e-Tanhaii, "the Wilderness of Solitude" or "the Desert of Loneliness." The disappearance of Jugnu and Chanda, lovers who broke Islamic law to live in sin, throws the small community into upheaval. The police arrest Chanda's brothers, whom they believe murdered the couple to avenge their family's shame. Meanwhile, Jugnu's brother, Shamas, contemplates the loss, occasionally clashing with his wife, Kaukab, a devout Muslim who overtly disapproved of the relationship. Aslam depicts an insular ex-pat Pakistani community fighting to preserve its cultural heritage and losing the battle to its Western-born children—often quite violently. At the heart of the turmoil is sexual freedom, and Aslam illustrates the many ways women's lives are restricted and romantic love is denied in the name of religion.

18 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

you always manage to find books that I have never heard of. Fabulous.

Paperback Reader said...

I have a copy of this on my shelf for some time and keep meaning to read it. A description like "poignant, lushly written" is bound to make me pick up a book.

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Oh, wow, this looks good. Another powerful blurb!

You don't half pick 'em!

Nice one.

Creative Chronicler said...

Sounds intriguing. Love the title of your blog!

and You have an award waiting on my page http://cc-chronicles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I read this one a couple of years back. From what I remember, it was a little on the long side, but beautifully written and sad.

Can't wait to hear what you think!

Missy B. said...

It sounds like a beautiful love story...great find!

bermudaonion said...

This sounds wonderful!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I never heard of this one, but it sounds like a wonderful read; thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for posting it!

Unknown said...

This sounds like an amazing story, troubling and sad but also inspring.

Thank you for posting about it.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a really good book. Am definitely gonna check this out.

Gavin said...

Wow, I want to read this one. Thanks, Gautami.

Kerrie said...

there is an award for you at Splashed and Lovely

Anonymous said...

It's been a few years since I read Maps for Lost Lovers but I loved it and still vividly remember some beautiful images.

BTW you've been awarded!

Toni said...

I think this looks really good! Thanks for posting. I will keep my eyes open for this.

Bryan R. Terry said...

I really enjoyed Maps for Lost Lovers when I read it for my Contemporary British Lit class. I reviewed it HERE

My Belated Friday Finds can be found HERE

Mishel said...

Wow, great find! I really like the sound of this one =)

Anonymous said...

The title grabbed me immediately. Great find.