Sunday, June 21, 2009

Weekly Geeks : Reading Challenges

"Reading Challenges: a help or a hurt? Do you find that the reading challenges keep you organized and goal-oriented? Or, do you find that as you near the end of a challenge that you've failed because you fell short of your original goals? As a result of some reading challenges, I've picked up books that I would have otherwise never heard of or picked up; that, frankly, I have loved. Have you experienced the same with challenges? If so, which ones? Do you have favorite reading challenges?"

At one time I joined any challenge I read about in the blog world. I was in some kind of a rampage as if I had to be a part of any kind of book reading. Somehow it became too much. I just couldn't keep track and at some point reading became a chore. The pleasure seemed to be all gone.

I woke up one fine morning. Decided to chuck out the challenges and can't tell you how relieved I felt. As if a big burden was gone from my head. Yes, challenges make us read books which we otherwise might not have heard. Now I do look over the challenge books and if I find anything good, I read it. I check the challenge books without participating in challenges at my own pace, on my own time.

However, I do take part in the following two challenges every year:

Canadian Challenge hosted by John Mutford
Southern Reading Challenge hosted by Maggie Reads

And a few more if I am inclined. I don't wish for challenges to rule over me. It has to be other way around.

12 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I just signed up for 2 challenges - I hope I don't regret it.

Staci said...

I signed up for a few challenges but if I don't complete them I'm o.k. with that. I do like that I've read some books that I might otherwise missed.

The Bookworm said...

I'm a sucker for reading challenges, I find it hard to say no. But now I do try not to join too many, and if I dont complete them, I dont worry over it.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm signed up for a few challenges, but don't know if I'll finish them. I'm feeling like my reading is becoming too scheduled.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the relief I felt once I had decided that books I don't love (or am never going to read) can leave the house! :)

The Reading Momster said...

i have a whole lot of challenges :) but i feel ok with them,,, i m doing it at my own pace :) but i feel jealous when i m way behind :)

Louise said...

I think I know what you mean by feeling relieved. However, since this is my first year doing challenges here, I am determined to stick with them. And if I succeed, I may even join some more next year ;o)

Vasilly said...

This is my life! I signed up for a ton of challenges this year and ended up quitting most of them today.

Rikki said...

Challenges should never rule over you, but vice versa. You're right.

Book Dragon said...

This is my first year & I've jumped in-blind with both feet! Not only joining way too many challenges but HOSTING four

I've promised myself that next "year" won't be so bad.

Mish said...

I'm doing well in my challenges because it's material I'd read anyway. The challenges help decide what I might want to read next. Thanks for coming by.

Kim said...

I have found my challenges are easier to stick with this year than the ones I signed up for last year but still am thinking of joining even fewer next year. Can't quite come to the place where I will chuck them this year--I guess that is the goal driven part of me! ;)
*smiles*
Kim