Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tease me on a Tuesday

I start my life in a kitchen floor in Manitoba, Canada and my mother dies as soon as I am born. From there I go to Winnipeg at the age of two months and live there for 11 years, with Clarentine Flett and her son Barker Flett. In 1916, my father comes to take me to Indiana, USA. I graduate there and get married to Harold Hoad in 1927. While we are on our honeymoon in Paris, Harold falls from the hotel Window and dies. I come back to my father's house in Indiana and stay there with him until 1936, when I again travel to Winnipeg and marry Barker Flett, almost immediately. We have three children. He passes away in 1955, being 23 years older than me. In my old age I do travel to Manitoba. When I die in a nursing home in Florida, I am almost 90 years.

~The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
teasertuesdays31

  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!
"Before what?" Beans asked. "And after what?"
"Before and after intercourse."

~Page 106, The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

Click on the title to read the full review.

26 comments:

Caspette said...

Well that certainly gets the attention! Are you enjoying the book?

Teddyree said...

Yep that's an attention grabber. I haven't heard of the book.
Here's my Teaser

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Good teaser!

Here's mine.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You had me completely hooked and it took me a moment to realise that I knew the book already. Great pick!

Literature Crazy said...

Quite attention getting.

Is this fiction or a memoir?

Jacqueline C. said...

Whoa! Best I've read today, and there have been some good ones. Here's my teaser.

Mo said...

I've had this one on my TBR shelf for a very long time, and haven't gotten around to it, yet...are you enjoying the story?

Margot said...

I was with you all the way. Good Where are you and teaser.

Nise' said...

That teaser has my attention!

BooksPlease said...

Good teaser - I enjoyed The Stone Diaries very much.

JoAnn said...

LOL - that's quite a teaser! I enjoyed The Stone Diaries very much.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Sounds wonderful! This book is on my TBR list. Hope I get to it soon! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Wendi said...

What a great teaser - certainly a memorable one. :)

Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

Carrie K. said...

That's a terrific teaser! :)

zetor said...

Attention grabbing teaser.

Harvee said...

Is this X-rated? :)
Nice tease!

Sharon said...

Yep...that is a true teaser! It made me laugh.

My teaser is ready.

Beth F said...

That teaser made me laugh!

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Oh goodness I want to read this now!

Thanks, you've just added to my TBR list!

Hi, incase you hadn't noticed, I'm new here! :)


Here's mine - I hope I've done everything right! *Bites nails*
Sassy's Teaser

Phyl said...

I love love love Carol Shields' books! I've only read a few (and heard her interviewed several times before she died), but I pretty much have loved every word that came from her mouth or her pen. Great teaser! I can just hear her reading it.

My own teaser is at Bookishgal.

Staci said...

Wow!! I've never heard of this author but the where are you part has me thinking that her character has a rough life and then that teaser really has me curious!!

Melody said...

Certainly a great teaser!

Ti said...

I read that book when it first came out and remember enjoying it quite a bit. That teaser does grab the attention but of course my feeble brain cannot remember that far back.

Kerri said...

This has been on my must read for a long time now - this teaser just bumped it up a few notches ;)

The Book Resort said...

I'm curious!

ibeeeg said...

That is a terrific teaser! It grabbed my attention.