Friday, June 19, 2009

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

Title: The Heretic Queen
Author: Michelle Moran
ISBN: 9780307381750
Publisher: Crown/2008
Pages: 370

Synopsis

In ancient Egypt, a forgotten princess must overcome her family’s past, and remake history.

The winds of change are blowing through Thebes. A devastating palace fire has killed the 18th dynasty’s royal family—all with the exception of Nefertari, niece of the reviled former queen Nefertiti. The girl’s deceased family has been branded as heretical, and no one in Egypt will speak their names. A relic of a previous reign, Nefertari is pushed aside, an unimportant princess left to run wild in the palace. But all of this changes when she is taken under the wing of pharaoh’s aunt, and brought to the Temple of Hathor where she is educated in a manner befitting a future queen.

Soon Nefertari catches the eye of the crown prince, and despite her family’s history, they fall in love and wish to marry. Yet all of Egypt opposes this union between the rising star of a new dynasty and the fading star of an old, heretical one. While political adversity sets the country on edge, Nefertari becomes the wife of Ramesses the Great. Destined to be the most powerful pharaoh in Egypt, he is also the man who must confront the most famous exodus in history.

I will review this book by answering questions by other bloggers.

Becky: Did you enjoy The Heretic Queen? Have you read Michelle Moran's other novel, Nefertiti? If you did, how do you think they compare? Do you have a favorite? What is it about this book that you love most? (Or if you didn't like it, what didn't you like about it!)

Gavin: I am curious about Michelle Moran. Did you enjoy The Heretic Queen?

Louise: Why do you read historical fiction? Or is this one of the few ones you've read?

I liked The Heretic Queen. Though the author says it is mostly fiction, it seems plausible. It might have happened that way. I liked the plotting and the love between Nefertari and the Pharaoh comes through very strongly. However, I liked the intelligent, far sighted, learned Nefertari much better. She is skilled in languages and knows the politics of her place. What she doesn't know, she makes it a point to learn. She is considered the daughter of a heretic queen and she has to prove herself at every step. She does it with poise. She knows that she can only do it by beind calmness and with sanity. Anger has no place in her life. She does not even hate Iset, the other wife of the Pharaoh. Filled with historical details, it unravels many intruing part of politics and works for peace for Egypt.

I read Historical novels once in a while and only of those peruiod which interest me. I don't go in for historical romances. I need the plot, the political era and how a country progresses.

It is my first novel by Moran and I do plan to read more. As and when I get them.

7 comments:

Pam said...

I read Nefertiti awhile ago and really enjoyed it. I've always been fascinated with Ancient Egypt. For some reason I haven't been tempted to read Heretic Queen, but your review intrigues me. I'll have to add it to my tbr list.

bermudaonion said...

I won The Heretic Queen and Nefertiti a while ago and haven't gotten to them yet, but I hope to soon.

serendipity_viv said...

I haven't ever read any books set in Egypt, but my husband is a big Christian Jacques fan. I should really venture in as this one sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

Hi.. I love books with Egyptian history so I know I will be reading this..

Beth F said...

This has been at the top of my wish list forever!!

Marg said...

I really enjoy reading Michelle's books, and she has such a good rapport with bloggers and good web presense.

Anna said...

I love Moran's writing. Glad you enjoyed this one, too.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric